• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubt to choose GW

Orlan

Hello everyone,
See if you can help me to decide between several contracts A2. Two years ago I got in touch with JC of Good wear leather for buying a Roug Wear 27752. Yesterday Vickie contacted me telling me that my jacket was ready to be made and if I like the contract Roug wear yet. The truth is that I'm also interested in Star Sportwear and Aeroleather 18775 and I don't know which one.What do you recommend contract? I want to choose a dark seal horsehide, in that I have no doubt.

mindful

Star sports dark seal brown knits and od green stitching That's what I would've chosen from them two contracts

watchmanjimg

In some cases (like mine) the choice of contract is determined at least partially by the wearer's build, but of the ones you're considering I'd go with the classic RW 27752. The Star is a great pattern but the collar has a distinctive shape that's not for everyone.

ScottoLaw

Hello,

Congrats on the pending jacket. I have had a GW 27752 in dark seal with OD stitch for a while. Great jacket. Can't go wrong at all. Good luck.

Orlan

Is that the choice of the contract is more of a personal taste issue, I have seen these contracts in pictures and the truth does not help me decide. True Star qe has a particular neck and maybe that is its charm too. The Roug Wear was my first choice. That dilemma!

bseal

You already put your time in. Why don't you take a little more time to decide, there's no rush.

FlyingYankee

I have both contracts by Goodwear. If I could only keep one it would be the Star. The Star contract sleeves are rotated in such a way that they don't pull up much when driving. Also I believe the Star contract is built for an athletic / muscular physique, wide shoulders, long arms, trim mid section. RW is great too and JC can tailor the jacket somewhat but I always felt the RW is more suited for the smaller more compact fighter pilot build, short and stout. Can't go wrong with any Goodwear. My next contract will be a Bronco because I love the squared off pockets,

tibor

One advantage of the Star is the collar is lower in front and your chin doesn't run into it when you're looking down turning your head...I know it sounds minor, but I've noticed it becomes annoying over time. Second best of your three picks in this regard is the Aero as it has a simple collar. The Aeros are cut high in the front, but a simple collar on the 18775 strikes a nice balance.

unclegrumpy

FlyingYankee said:
The Star contract sleeves are rotated in such a way that they don't pull up much when driving. Also I believe the Star contract is built for an athletic / muscular physique, wide shoulders, long arms, trim mid section. RW is great too and JC can tailor the jacket somewhat but I always felt the RW is more suited for the smaller more compact fighter pilot build, short and stout. Can't go wrong with any Goodwear.
The above is very well stated.

I think your body shape would be the biggest factor. If you are young, tall, and muscular, go with the Star. If you are rounder or older, then consider the RW or the Aero.

If you are somewhere in the middle....either is an excellent choice. I will say though, the RW and Aero tend to have more of a classic 1930's/1940's cut and look, and the Star more modern. Either can be adjusted, but all look better the closer they are to their original state.

Also, if you want to look like a Doolittle Raider or MacArthur, consider the RW or the Aero.

Lastly, JC is not going to steer you wrong, so listen, and let the master help you....don't fight the "force".

Orlan

My clomplexion is normal, neither thin nor thick. I think Star RW as one would look great, I like both contracts, wish I could go for two, but for now I have to make do with one. I have since four years ago the Californian Venture GW that usually use almost daily and is a beautiful jacket

blackrat2

I love the Star for looks and cut,yep RW is a nice jacket but I couldn't get on with the collar,I guess that's a personal thing
I think the Star john is making now is a tweaked version of his first pattern and it certainly lends itself to seal brown
As has been said speak to John about your body shape,the Aero is described as one of the most comfy A2's but he will help you for sure

Orlan

Thanks guys for your advice. I'm definitely between these two contracts. I'll send to John a mail to advise me what would be better for my look depending on my measurements.

watchmanjimg

FlyingYankee said:
I have both contracts by Goodwear. If I could only keep one it would be the Star. The Star contract sleeves are rotated in such a way that they don't pull up much when driving. Also I believe the Star contract is built for an athletic / muscular physique, wide shoulders, long arms, trim mid section. RW is great too and JC can tailor the jacket somewhat but I always felt the RW is more suited for the smaller more compact fighter pilot build, short and stout. Can't go wrong with any Goodwear. My next contract will be a Bronco because I love the squared off pockets,

I agree completely concerning the fit of the GW Star and likely the Bronco although my only experience with the contract involved a Real McCoy's version. The GW Star pattern definitely solved the fit issues I encountered with other contracts such as the Dubow 27798 and Aero 16160; however, the collar shape of the Star doesn't suit my taste. After consultation with JC I decided to go with the Dubow 20960 and it works very well for me. The GW Cooper appears to be another option for athletic builds.