• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doniger and Spiewak Similarities

Cobblers161

I'm curious as to why the Spiewak 42-18776-P and the Doniger 42-21539-P despite being from different manufacturers are so seemingly similar in design?

Ok so the collar shape is slightly different, the cut of the Spiewak is more generous in the lower torso, the pocket flaps on the Doniger are shorter etc... But on initial appearance they are relatively similar, certainly to a newbie like myself.

It seems odd that such a distinctive design would be copied when it is so out of line with every other contract. I'm sure both were out of New York so maybe the link is there.

There may well be a simple answer but I'd be most grateful for any insight.

Best,
Steve

Dr H

Hi Steve. I raised this one myself in the following thread

Post subject: Re: Spiewak A2Posted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 3:18 pm 

Didn't really reach a conclusion though.
Cheers
Ian

Roughwear

I'm really not surprised by the superfical similarities between Spiewak and Doniger A2s. There were only so many different variations on the original design so makers were going to influence other ones. For example the Poughkeepsie contract is quite close to the last Aero contract, just as Bronco and United Sheeplined A2s share many similar characteristics due largely to kinship.

Cobblers161

The collars are very distinctive as are the pocket flaps, if these features had been more generic, as with the Poughkeepsie pockets then that would be understandable.

One would maybe expect to have maybe one nuance copied but not two that are so different to all other contracts. Yeh, I wasn't really factoring Bronco and United into the equation due to the family connection.

It seems odd to me that such a unique design would be used by two separate makers.