• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this bomber fit correctly or is it a little short waist

cooperjackets

Hi guys. I am new here. I was wondering if you guys think this vintage jacket is too short or if it is ok. It is my first vintage bomber. I am a tall guy and am used to wearing longer jackets but everything I read said to get one that stops at your waist line. I am mainly looking at the waist line. Arms are ok even though in the pic it looks a little short.

Do you think it is too short or an ok length for a vintage bomber.
Thanks and look forward to reading this forum.http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj464/f308/jacket1.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj464/f308/jacket3.jpg

Andrew

Re: Does this bomber fit correctly or is it a little short w

Hi cooper, firstly I have to tell you that you are lucky to have a build that works well for flight jackets- meaning they look a lot more natural on skinny guys. But, please don't take this as a negative crit but I think you could do with a bigger size as it does appear to be overall a little small for you. Typically the best way I find to make a proper assessment is to do it zipped.

I'd recommend going to the Goodwear website and checking out the heap of crew photos from the Doolittle Raiders. While you're there you will probably be inspired to order one of John's jackets and Vickie will make sure the fit is perfect.

dujardin

helloooooooooooooo

and welcome...

just my opinion, lenght of sleeve is too short

Jeff M

The sleeve length would be a tad too short for me...but is within the range of "fashion".
Has that "I'm cool" look.

I'm at the age where the "I'm cool" look comes across as "Old fart trying to be young again". :lol:

cmk-2

And please don't call it a "Bomber" they are Flight jackets. True story, I asked a friend of mine (F-16 pilot) why he choses not to use the A-2 jacket the USAF issued to him? he's response was, I'm a fighter pilot not a bomber guy so I don't use that "bomber jacket"

cooperjackets

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. The sleeve length is actually longer on my I just have it pushed back some in that picture. When my arms are down the sleeve ends at the crease in my wrist right before my palm.

Ok noted I will call it a flight jacket. I just heard them called bomber jackets for years so I thought that was the correct term.

Andrew did you think the wasit area seemed too short or were you referring to the sleeve also?
I will check out their website.

I am looking forward to being part of the community. This is my first vintage jacket and am very excited about it.

Lol. Too funny. "the i'm cool look". I will keep it the right length and not pull it up.

Please keep it coming. Thanks Guys. :D

ButteMT61

I think it's too short as well. I have a jacket here that I love - I bought it hoping it would fit - but it's too short in the torso. I suppose some like that look - it was kinda 50's cool at one point. But unless you were a high-waister trouser, I think longer looks better. Just another 2¢ to add.

Rutger

3/4 of an inch more body length would have been a tad better.
If you hadn't told about the sleeves I'd have them 3/4 to 1 inch longer.

Did you get positive comments from unknowing bystanders?
At ease with the fit?
Enjoy wearing it, and don't worry too much about what is being said up here by those who are in search of the assumed perfect fit.
Historical fit may not always be the more fashionable fit.

Take your time to figure out what your perfect jacket would be like by simply searching over here, and at some of the links that are on this forum.

It appears to me that the torso is fine size wise; shoulders sitting square. Armpits comfy? Across the upper back comfy? Then in my book the body size is just fine, and you wouldn't need to size up entirely.

Hamsterbear

The way you can tell if it's too short is to raise your arms above your head....
Where your jacket falls now at your belt line will leave a 4" gap of white shirt when you reach up...
That is way too short.
The reason short jackets looked OK in the 1940's is because mens waist lines were very high up. Today we wear out pants waist at the hip.....

cooperjackets

Thanks guys. Great input.

I never thought about how low we wear our pants now or jeans. That is a really good point. So that is probably why most jackets are longer.

I really liked the 50s style look of the jacket or that is what it reminded me of and really drew me to it. I love the big collar and it seems to be a really well made jacket.

I haven't been out in public with it yet. It has been too hot where I live. Almost in the 100s.
It goes on easy and it a very comfortable jacket. I really love the little squeak the leather has that no newer leather jacket I have owned has. It is really heavy too and feels very sturdy which I really like.
Armpits are good and back is good.

Thanks guys. This forum is great. I can't wait to explore more.

ButteMT61

If ya like that style, and it's comfortable, fuggit! Enjoy. You'll end up with more either way. It's a sickness. :lol:

Peter Graham

What is the jacket ? Looks like something from a fashion magazine to me.

Who

Too short. Unless you're into period reenactment of the 1950's ( a look I am indifferent too) I'd get a longer fit.