• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Day trip from London....MADE IT

dav3469

Hi all,

Just thought I would report back. I was able to make it to Duxford last Thursday. I had a great time. I only had that day to use, and I decided to go for it.

Got clear of Heathrow at 0930, dropped my bags and had a quick shower, and was on my way by 1030. Took the Express from Heathrow to Paddington, then the tube to Kings Cross (two or three stops-maybe 10 minutes on the tube). Made it just in time to get in line and get tickets for the Express to Cambridge.

No rain, and it actually passed for sunny (well high clouds with the sun poking thru). About 30 minutes into the 50ish minute trip I woke from dozing and was taking in the scenery. A little motion caught my eye, and I noticed what looked (from a distance) to be an Extra 300 doing some aerobatic work. I took this as a good omen. ;)

The C7 bus rolled up just as we exited the station, and I enjoyed the 40 Minute ride to Duxford. So we arrived at about 1250ish. Spent the next several hours enjoying the museum/airfield and caught the last bus back to town.

We then walked around Cambridge, and I was able to find the Eagle Pub and RAF Bar. We hoisted a few there and had a great meal. Very good for pub food in my opinion.

By the time we retraced our steps, and made it back to our hotel it was nearly 2200 hours. Just in time to get a good sleep before our onward flights home. It was a tiring day, but well worth it. I could of course spent the whole day at Duxford, but was glad to get what I did!

It was sad to see Sally B down with engine problems, but from what I read they hope to have her back up soon. The field was busy, and seemed to have a constant supply of folks for the Tiger Moth, and Rapide (or is it a Dragon Moth?) flights.

Overall, a great experience. And the omen must have worked, because when we stepped into the carriage for the ride back to London, the skies opens up and it bucketed rain!

I have included just a few pictures. My wife has the camera and I have not had a chance to download my pictures of the displays. These were taken on my iphone after the camera battery died! I attribute the shaky hand in the RAF bar to lack of photo skill, as well as several pints of beer. :D

Thanks to all who helped out with suggestions and information!

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Andrew

Well organized trip Dave, hope to catch you when you breeze through here. Don't get your hopes up you're gonna see anything like that though!

art of a2

dav3469 said:
Hi all,

Overall, a great experience. And the omen must have worked, because when we stepped into the carriage for the ride back to London, the skies opens up and it bucketed rain!

Hell. I want my bones buried there!! Glad you had a good time..