• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark Seal Red Wine Thread

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering if you like what we often see on Japanese repro dark seal jackets.
i.e. the reddish brown thread. (Goes pretty well with the red rust knits).

Was that period accurate? and most importantly, do YOU like it?

img58173399.jpg

img58173400.jpg

I think it looks very nice.

an11_004_dtl.jpg

A

Anonymous

The AN stamp looks rather big. The Japanese jackets, look beautifully made, but to much a fashion thing compared to GW, and ELC. Maybe the better word is flashy.

stanier

Isn't the colour of thread used a contract dependency, as in certain contracts seem to have used different colour threads?

stanier

chitchat said:
The AN stamp looks rather big. The Japanese jackets, look beautifully made, but to much a fashion thing compared to GW, and ELC. Maybe the better word is flashy.

Whatever, that the Few Aero looks fantastic!

Cheers

ButteMT61

Well, here's a 1936 Werber with a sexy thread color...supposedly the guy that makes it is pretty accurate most of the time :)
I love that jacket above too. Like others, I find it quite appealing and would wear for sure.
Not dark seal, but there ya go.

epaulet.jpg

A

Anonymous

ButteMT61 said:
Well, here's a 1936 Werber with a sexy thread color...supposedly the guy that makes it is pretty accurate most of the time :)
I love that jacket above too. Like others, I find it quite appealing and would wear for sure.
Not dark seal, but there ya go.

epaulet.jpg
Beautiful hide, and stitching.

A

Anonymous

That werber thread color could be a medium brown, at least that's how I see it on my monitor.
Can't tell for sure what it is. Maybe the owner of that jacket can help.

Jason

Period accurate? No idea.
Do I like... yes, do like the rust knits & seal combination - especially when the red undercoat subtly starts to show through - but that red stitching is a bit over the top for my liking. Perhaps after it had faded a little...? I imagine it appeals to the Japanese market, where the more garish the garment, the more popular it seems to be. I can just imagine a version with day-glo fluoro orange thread being made for domestic consumption :shock:

a2jacketpatches

I'm a big fan of contrast stitching, original lighter shade, different color, sun faded, sexy, or flashy. Period accurate? Big stamp? Little stamp? Who cares?. Looks DYNO-MITE!

Skip

Jason said:
I can just imagine a version with day-glo fluoro orange thread being made for domestic consumption :shock:

Would that mean I could then wear my flouro threaded A-2 on a construction site and be OH&S savvy?

'Bright' Red thread not my cup of tea, maybe a duller red or rust same colour as the knits maybe straw? Seen one or two in a straw/beige and its looks pretty good.

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
That werber thread color could be a medium brown, at least that's how I see it on my monitor.

Well, on me color-calibrated work displays, it's red. Maybe it's my eyes if others say it's not?

Skip

ButteMT61 said:
PLATON said:

Well, on me color-calibrated work displays, it's red. Maybe it's my eyes if others say it's not?

Yep its red, but not neon red

A

Anonymous

The first picture could have bad lighting, if the thread was a deep red it might look spot on. However the pink color shown looks a little pimped.