• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU Jackets

Tim P

You will, I don't doubt, be aware that the first jacket is not military, note the word polyester and the fact that the label is just off. (unless I am wrong....)
The second jacket is more like it.
NOTHING WRONG WITH A NON MILITARY JACKET BTW.... ;) as long as you know that is what you are buying.
ooops caps.
nowhere does the inflated and often tenuous 'authenticity' card get played as a marketing ploy more than in the field of military inspired flight wear.

It annoys me ,and occasionally almost catches me, when a claim of authentic flight jacket gets made. its a way of implying originality without claiming it.
I dont have a CWU series but I like them as they are less skinhead scooterboy gayint or 'the management' than Ma1 derivatives.

oose

Thanks Tim,

I'm dubious about the first one but for £6 I'm not complaining at all. I got both jackets for only £30 including postage so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm always surprised that these can go for big money one day and then virtually nothing the next.

yours stu

watchmanjimg

Agree with Tim regarding the first jacket. It's not issue, but for the price it looks like you did very well. :D

A

Anonymous

I recently picked up 2 CWU 36/p jackets on Ebay from seperate sellers. Both xl, both genuine and both mint.
One for £20 and the other for £5. I just chucked in the opening bids to help the sellers get things going and so they would be less likely to pull them and both had no other bids. :D

On the subject of making cheap sound real, I like a quote from the movie 'Bridget Jones' Diary' ..... "A reasonable fascimile of genuine leatherette" :lol: :lol:

Dave

MikeyB-17

CWU's are my favourite of the cloth jackets. Never had a 36 but I'm on my second 45-had one, sold it, wished I hadn't, got another. Very comfortable, look good, and without the already mentioned disadvantages of the MA-1. Fireproof too.

Atticus

I heard somewhere that the military is no longer issuing the CWU-36P. Seems odd. In normal years, I wear my '36P more than any other jacket.

AF

greyhound52

I have two CWU-45s and two CWU-36s all old style with the pleats in the back. Very comfy and nice. The CWU-45 is very warm.

USMC_GAU-21

The USAF/USN/USMC is still issuing MIL-SPEC 36/P and 45/P in SAGE, and Desert Tan.

Mfg:

Greenbrier
Isaratex
Alpha

To name a few.

r/Gy

oose

Hi,

CWU 36/P has arrived and I'm very happy with it, I wore it in a rain storm the other day and its got water marks on it is this normal? I've given it a soak and its drying now-now dry all marks gone :) . I gave the CWU 45/P copy to my dad and he is very pleased with it so every one's happy. So far this month he's had a Alpha B-15 repro and a 1974 Alpha MA-1 off me as well! I've been told to have a clear out!

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

stu

gomez

Hi Guy's- just today received a Propper Intl. Inc. 45/P used off the bay - label says Mil-J-83388E, SPO100-00-D-4030, 100% ARAMID. Everything about it looks and feels authentic as heck. Paid 70.00 shipped and it's in almost new condition. If anyone knows I'm just wondering why it doesn't say CWU anywhere on the label. Is that a Propper thing or does it not state CWU for a reason? Thanks

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
gomez said:
... If anyone knows I'm just wondering why it doesn't say CWU anywhere on the label. Is that a Propper thing or does it not state CWU for a reason? Thanks

No, it's not just Propper, more recent examples don't have CWU (Cold Weather Unit). My 2003 Valley Apparel, for example, has ...

JACKET, FLYER'S, COLD WEATHER, 45/P

gomez

Thanks for explaining that David :) There were a lot of threads lately on CWU's and thought it was time I had one. I find it just right on a motorcycle this time of year.

Jaydee

oose said:
Hi,

CWU 36/P has arrived and I'm very happy with it, I wore it in a rain storm the other day and its got water marks on it is this normal? I've given it a soak and its drying now-now dry all marks gone :) . I gave the CWU 45/P copy to my dad and he is very pleased with it so every one's happy. So far this month he's had a Alpha B-15 repro and a 1974 Alpha MA-1 off me as well! I've been told to have a clear out!
stu

Water spots are normal. You figured out the solution on your own. You can also machine wash it on delicate cycle, and then hang dry. This will put a bit of wear on the knits though, so you don't want to do that too much.

CWUs are great for flying and look cool when worn, but they suck as rain jackets! I got a NOS hood for my 45P cheap on ebay. They come with sage buttons to sew onto the under collar for hood attachment. I have not installed it yet though.

-JD

A

Anonymous

gomez said:
Thanks for explaining that David :) There were a lot of threads lately on CWU's and thought it was time I had one. I find it just right on a motorcycle this time of year.

You must be somewhere warm then - or southern hemisphere ......... :D

Dave

gomez

Yup, Southern New Mexico. We've had a tough winter by our standards this year. Icy in the AM but afternoons warm up into the high 40's and 50's. Getting up to the sixties by this weekend. Methinks the lovely way the throttle snaps and exhaust note cracks compensates for cold toes in the morning ;)