• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-17P

dilbert

I have a question about the CWU-17P. I have never seen one, even in photos, only descriptions and a drawing of the jacket that appears on a Japanese website- it depicts color drawings of the evolution of U S flight jackets and I think it might be out of a Japanese book. The drawing depicts the 17P paired with CWU-18P trousers and the jacket shows a hood (detachable?). From the progression shown in the drawings it appears to indicate that these flight garments evolved from the N2 jacket/N1 trousers, possibly in the 1970's.

The 17P looks just like the CWU-45P in the drawings. Can anyone tell me about the 17P? Was it a short-lived jacket replaced by the 45P, and, if so, why? Any idea of dates of issuance? I've seen many 45P's and 36P's, along with sundry other jackets, on ebay but I've never seen the 17P. Was this jacket part of a set and worn with the 18P trousers? Was the jacket ever used seperately?

Many thanks for your help!!!

usafwso

I've never heard of a CWU-17 jacket. For the CWU-18 flight pants, I have and own two pair. In the past I have worn the CWU-15 with the flight pants but that was a very rare occasion. Probably worn as much as a CWU-64.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dilbert said:
The 17P looks just like the CWU-45P in the drawings. Can anyone tell me about the 17P?

The book is probably Suit Up ... the chart is pages 44-45, with the drawings on page 325.

Jacket Cold Weather Flyers System (Detachable Hood) Type CWU-17/P MIL-J-83388.