• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current USAF Issue A-2s

unclegrumpy

HackerF15E said:
At the base I'm at, the equipment issue office maintains a rack of A-2s that are used for fitting/trying on. They have every size from 36 up to 48, and a variety of manufacturers. I figured that would help sort out what jackets had what features.

Here's what the rack looks like:

93cfc4e4.jpg

fc24b0c7.jpg

[/img]

I think what is interesting is how non "uniform" these current jackets are.

It makes one wonder if the addition of reproduction current regulation spec and oversized makers tags might make a Goodwear pass inspection....and the "Goodwear Stealth" pattern is born??? :D

HackerF15E

unclegrumpy said:
I think what is interesting is how non "uniform" these current jackets are.

It makes one wonder if the addition of reproduction current regulation spec and oversized makers tags might make a Goodwear pass inspection....and the "Goodwear Stealth" pattern is born??? :D

I doubt that 90% of the USAF people would even look twice at someone who was wearing a WWII repro (assuming it was adorned appropriately with the velcro on the chest so it could be worn in accordance with the uniform regs).

There are people who are wearing "unauthorized" A-2s currently -- the 3 or 4 companies in Korea and Turkey that specialize in A-2 modifications also make "in house" jackets that some people buy in lieu of having their issue jackets tailored/modified.

I've been seriously considering buying a repro (probably a Good Wear, based on comments I've read since joining VLJ) and having it modified with velcro so I can wear it on duty. I'm heading off overseas this summer, and that would be a great time to have one to get a little combat flight time on it.

Heeeyyyyyy....I wonder if I could get 'sponsored' by the Good Wear folks to take one of their jackets into harm's way in return for some photos of it in action. :)

unclegrumpy

HackerF15E said:
Heeeyyyyyy....I wonder if I could get 'sponsored' by the Good Wear folks to take one of their jackets into harm's way in return for some photos of it in action. :)

You would need to charm the pattern maker, head seamstress, and CEO, but since this all one guy at Goodwear it might not be that tough!

FtrPlt

I'd echo Hacker and dilbert's comments. I still have most of my issued flight gear but it's only in the past few years that I was ever aware of the info on the makers tags much beyond the size shown. As already stated, it was stuff I wore to do my job. My CWU-36/P was simply "my flight jacket". I had a CWU-55/P but never wore it. It was simply 'the winter flight jacket' I never wore (found them too bulky, in case anyone was wondering why).

When I flew in the Army, it was the same deal. My ugly green summer weight jacket was my 'flight jacket'. I had a US Army version of the CWU-55 which I also never wore. I also had a nice waist-length hooded winter jacket (N-2B) which I wore around the post but not flying (the hood was a pain, even when unzipped) and an even colder weather parka (N-3B), which I occassionally wore. They were simply 'my flight jackets' or 'parkas'. I don't remember anyone ever referencing them by their nomenclature. Even the supply guys handed them out as, "here are your winter jackets, sir. Please sign here".

As for wearing a repro A-2: you'd probably stand out because the quality/fit would be too good! Other than a status symbol (and hardly that, these days), I actually found the A-2 to be uncomfortably cut and not very warm. To this day, my most comfortable issue flight jacket is my US Army cloth summer weight jacket followed closely by my CWU-36/P.

I did try and transfer to the USCG at one point back in the 90's -- was looking to pull a trifecta and have pilots wings from all 3 sources. Never gave any thought to adding more issued flight jackets. I suppose I would have had one of the cowhide G-1s. Well 2 out of 3 isn't bad!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
FtrPlt said:
... I had a CWU-55/P but never wore it. It was simply 'the winter flight jacket' I never wore (found them too bulky, in case anyone was wondering why).

Was this the 45/P? CWU-55/P seems to be an Avirex civilian nylon version ... also available in black.

If so, I'm surprised you found it bulky. I guess it's relative, but it's the least bulky of my Cold Weather jackets.

HackerF15E

deeb7 said:
If so, I'm surprised you found it bulky. I guess it's relative, but it's the least bulky of my Cold Weather jackets.

I find the 45 very bulky to fly with, too, in a fighter/trainer cockpit. If it's that cold, I usually wear thermal Aramid underwear and a 36/P.

FtrPlt

Sorry guys. Brain cramp. Yes, I meant CWU-45/P.

Always felt the -45 slowed down ability to apply control inputs due to the added bulk. Probably just a psychological thing. The A-10 wasn't exactly roomy and being all strapped in, you really couldn't move much anyway.

I forgot all about the aramid long johns. I think I had one of the tops around for quite a while -- cream/yellowish color with a tall collar, right?

HackerF15E

FtrPlt said:
I forgot all about the aramid long johns. I think I had one of the tops around for quite a while -- cream/yellowish color with a tall collar, right?

That's the one. In fall and early winter, I sometimes even bypass the jacket all together and just go with the johns. Much easier to turn around and fly defensive BFM without that coat in the way!

Pope

Great photos of current issue jackets. All I can do is agree that these are tools. Just like the M-16 that was issued to me.
I didn't care who made this weapon, all I wanted for it to is go bang. For those who might care......that rifle was manufactured By the " Hydramatic Division of General Motors". Point is could care less who manufactured the jacket it is a tool. Use it! Yeah it is a not to good repro of the jacket my Dad wore in WWII but it is a continulation of the tradition
for you being here and thanks for your service to our country.

Mike

FtrPlt

HackerF15E said:
FtrPlt said:

That's the one. In fall and early winter, I sometimes even bypass the jacket all together and just go with the johns. Much easier to turn around and fly defensive BFM without that coat in the way!

Yep, it was the same back in the early 80s. I wondered how some guys managed -- long johns, flight suit, jacket, speed jeans, survival vest, harness, helmet, mask, etc. I tried wearing all that stuff once. Felt like the Michelin-tire man and never made it out of the crew room!

269sqnhudson

Tim P said:
I have always cringed when I have heard reenactors badgering vets about details of what they wore, using nomenclature that is purely in place for the postwar enthusiast or collector.
Oh totally! I wouldn't ask a veteran anything like that unless they are a participating VLJ forum member. It's embarrassing and also when it comes to combat veterans it's positively tasteless: "Hey Mr. when you were getting shelled to bits in the Hurtgen forest that time, can you remember what shade of green your helmet chinstraps were?"

Willy McCoy

In regards to the name "Flight Jacket", I think a lot has changed between the golden era of flight when your jacket was a status symbol and functioning piece of equipment. Upon becoming a pilot one was issued Wings and a Flight Jacket that actually saw seat time. Today's issued A-2 Flight Jacket seems to be grounded.

Great thread; especially very enjoyable to read the comments of the active duty and retired pilots.

I recall in the late 80s one of my buddies got one of the "new" issued USAF A-2 jackets from his dad. His dad was a pilot retiring from the Air Force and gave my buddy a brand new A-2 that as far as I could tell had never been worn- just tried on probably. I guess he figured it was just an extra piece of gear he didn't need anymore.

Don't recall the maker this many years later, but it was a nice quality goatskin hide. It was the real impetus for me acquiring my first civvy A-2, an Avirex. :D

HackerF15E

Willy McCoy said:
a Flight Jacket that actually saw seat time. Today's issued A-2 Flight Jacket seems to be grounded.

Plenty of pilots currently fly with the A-2. It's just not needed (because of cockpit conditions) or preferred wear.