• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creased nylon

rich

Could any of the experts recommend a method to help drop very sharp or deep creases out of nylon jackets? Or is it the nature of the beast and just something you live with? I'm all for crumples and gentle creasing but not so keen when they look as if they've been iron in - many thanks if you can help.

watchmanjimg

That's what I typically use to reduce the appearance of stitch holes from removed insignia. Just be sure the heat is LOW. I once had the entire underside of an MA-1 sleeve replaced due to a large burn hole (didn't come from my iron, but it wasn't pretty either). You may also want to put a towel over the nylon before applying the iron. This should work fine, but better safe than sorry.

MikeyB-17

Could try hanging it up in the bathroom with the shower on hot-the steam helps the creases drop out.

Dr H

I agree with the comments above regarding the ironing and the humidity. The heat used really depends on the structure of the polymer - if you recall any college/high school chemistry :geek: not all nylons are the same and some have very different ranges between the glass transition temperature, where the nylon softens and becomes more 'rubbery' (where the creases are lost) and the melting temperature, often quickly followed by decomposition). Easy to check in an analytical lab., but not in the kitchen.

The glass temperature may be no more than 50 Celsius, with a melting temperature of 230+ Celsius.

Start on a low heat (no more than warm to touch) and use a little water, the additional moisture will help to disrupt the forces holding the polymer chains together and plasticise the nylon fabric.

rich

Thanks very much guys. I'll start with Mike's suggestion, see how that goes and then progress to the iron if necessary. I must admit to being slightly apprehensive about melting something though! :shock:
I got myself a BR L-2A which arrived with strong creases in it, I guess you could argue that's all part of it and pretty much what you'd have after an hour or two strapped to your Martin-Baker...........