• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cow vs. Goat: What is this LW jacket anyway?

zoomer

The great debate is on!!!
cow-vs-goat1.jpg

I just acquired a Lost Worlds A-1 in seal brown goat. Comparing this beautifully made jacket to my other goatskins from Gibson, Good Wear, etc., I noticed a lack of that distinctive fine "pebbling" we associate with the outer layer of old Billy. Instead there's a network of fine, slightly rippled grain lines that compare best to my cow/steerhide garments. It very closely resembles the LW G-1 pictured on their website.

What's the deal? Anyone more knowledgeable than me know why you would process heavy goat (and it IS heavy) to resemble cow? Does it have to do with LW's tradition of extra-tough, road-resistant leathers?

Pix of the new A-1 coming soon.

Jason

I dunno Zoom, I can still see that the LW G-1 link there is goat, without any hints given.
I guess it would have to do with the target market and perceived trends. No-one goes into a venture of producing something, and not expect to make money from it. They'll make what they think will sell - or convince their market that is what they should want. For us enthusiasts, its about the look of yesteryear, the rugged ulilitarian look, not about the smooth & prissy look of dress leather.
Perhaps LW has got a good deal on smooth leather (or that's all they're able to source from the suppliers that are available to them) and decided to run with it?

Falcon_52

I've got some thick unfinished goatskin work gloves that have a rather fine pebble grain to them. Maybe it just comes down to the breed or part of the world the goat comes from?

Noel

unclegrumpy

I was thinking it might be if the hide was from a Momma goat :?, Baby goat :eek: , an Old goat :shock: , but a quick search revealed the following....

Leather types:

Full-grain leather refers to the upper section of a hide that previously contained the epidermis and hair, but were removed from the hide/skin. Full-grain refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) in order to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains in its natural state allowing the best fiber strength and durability. The natural grain also has natural breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a natural patina over time, with some cracking and splitting. The finest leather furniture and footwear are made from full-grain leather. For these reasons, only the best raw hide is used to create full-grain leather. One way to test if leather is full-grain is to lightly scratch its surface with your nail. If it leaves a lighter-colored streak, it's full-grain. Full-grain leathers are typically available in two finish types: aniline and semi-aniline.

Top-grain leather is a misnomer: it gives the false impression that it is "top" quality. In fact, full-grain is the highest quality. Top-grain leather is the second-highest quality. Its surface has been sanded and refinished. As a result, it has a colder, plastic feel, less breathability, and will not develop a natural patina. However, it does have 2 advantages over full-grain leather: it is typically less expensive, and has greater resistance to stains.

I think the answer probably is your jacket is Top-grain leather.