• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple from CBI & one from Iceland

oose

Hi all,

Couple of shots from CBI nice to see a mix of M-422 and A-2.

Page1v-1.jpg

Page1vv-1.jpg

and one from Iceland,...now those A-2 don't look warm! :D

Page1e-1.jpg

yours stu

Chandler

I got caught in a snow-shower in my Star the other day... it's not warm without proper layering! :shock:

I like the Navy fleece and G-1s mixed in with the A-2s in the 23rd pics, a hold overs from the AVG, no doubt.

Chandler

Falcon_52

It looks like there are at least a few B-6 jackets in that second photo. I don't think I've ever seen an original photo of a pilot wearing a B-6 before. Thanks for posting, oose.

Noel

zoomer

How early-wartime is that Iceland pic? P-40s in the ETO, and the pilots all kitted out exactly alike?

I know Tommyhawks were deployed to Iceland in summer '41, so that's a start...

Swing

zoomer said:
How early-wartime is that Iceland pic? P-40s in the ETO, and the pilots all kitted out exactly alike?

I know Tommyhawks were deployed to Iceland in summer '41, so that's a start...

I'd guess it's from no later than early 1943, most likely fall 1942.

~Swing

Chandler

Swing said:

~Swing

By what evidence?

Interesting that the pic itself has the notation, "...neg rec'd 7 Dec 44 from Hdq 2nd Service Gp..."

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Swing said:

~Swing

By what evidence?

First, the closest P-40 is an E (or later model), putting the photo after late '41. And then looking at everyone's gear, I'm seeing a lot of pre-war helmets there that I'd expect to see used early in the war, but wouldn't expect to see on fighter pilots after mid '43. And finally, they don't look warm. I know, it's Iceland, but it's going to be warm in the summer. I'd say winter/spring '42 may be a little too early for the photo, and after October or November '42, I'd expect to see some snow on the ground. So, I think fall '42 puts it about right. Can't find much on the 33rd PS, but they did start seeing action between August and November '42, so that would be the time to start handing out awards.

~Swing

Chandler

Chris217 said:
Plus by Dec 44' the 23rd Ftr. Grp. was flying P-51's.

We're talking about the last picture, in Iceland -- far as I know, the 23rd never served there. ;)

Chandler

Chandler

Swing said:
And then looking at everyone's gear, I'm seeing a lot of pre-war helmets there that I'd expect to see used early in the war, but wouldn't expect to see on fighter pilots after mid '43.

Interesting insight, I'll have to keep that in mind when looking over pics.

And finally, they don't look warm. I know, it's Iceland, but it's going to be warm in the summer.

That's probably pretty relative -- looks like the warmest it ever gets is around 60° F! But i was just thinking in terms of your pinpointing the year.

but they did start seeing action between August and November '42

That's pretty definitive right there. They were probably on their ferry mission in this shot.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Swing said:
And then looking at everyone's gear, I'm seeing a lot of pre-war helmets there that I'd expect to see used early in the war, but wouldn't expect to see on fighter pilots after mid '43.

Interesting insight, I'll have to keep that in mind when looking over pics.

And finally, they don't look warm. I know, it's Iceland, but it's going to be warm in the summer.

That's probably pretty relative -- looks like the warmest it ever gets is around 60° F! But i was just thinking in terms of your pinpointing the year.

but they did start seeing action between August and November '42

That's pretty definitive right there. They were probably on their ferry mission in this shot.

Chandler

33rd was in Iceland in early '41, so I don't think this a ferry flight photo. Plus at the top of the photo, it says "ceremonies & decorations", so I'd say it's a post first combat (August '42) photo. The P-40 in the rear is a C model, probably arrived in Iceland '41, and would have been pretty whipped and removed from service by '43. And finally, there's a close up of that photo (in Suit Up?), and you can tell the guys don't look warm, especially the guy to the left of the guy in the raw B-5/6 helmet. I may be wrong, but just looking at the photo, it say late '42 to me.

~Swing

Chandler

Swing said:
33rd was in Iceland in early '41, so I don't think this a ferry flight photo. Plus at the top of the photo, it says "ceremonies & decorations", so I'd say it's a post first combat (August '42) photo.

Why would they be back in Iceland to receive combat awards? Kinda' out of the way, isn't it?

The P-40 in the rear is a C model

Yeah, you're right - I missed that.

probably arrived in Iceland '41, and would have been pretty whipped and removed from service by '43.

If not much sooner. Maybe used as non-combat flyer?

I like all the guys you can see holding cigs in their gloved hands. I can't imagine rudder pedal work would be that easy in those boots.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Swing said:
33rd was in Iceland in early '41, so I don't think this a ferry flight photo. Plus at the top of the photo, it says "ceremonies & decorations", so I'd say it's a post first combat (August '42) photo.

Why would they be back in Iceland to receive combat awards? Kinda' out of the way, isn't it?

Preparing for the US's coming involvement in the war.

As for those A-6 boots, I imagine they might have made things more difficult, especially in the a P-40. In the book "An Ace in the Eighth" the author describes flying the P-40 and how he constantly had to go back and forth between standing on the right and left rudder pedals (conteracting the engine torque) as he put the plane through maneuvers. Described it as trying to follow a dance you don't know the steps to, and stated he was glad he didn't have to take the P-40 into combat.

~Swing

Chandler

Swing said:

But, they wouldn't be receiving combat awards then. See what I'm saying? Wouldn't be post first combat.

Described it as trying to follow a dance you don't know the steps to, and stated he was glad he didn't have to take the P-40 into combat.

Yeh -- the A-6s would've been fun.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Swing said:

But, they wouldn't be receiving combat awards then. See what I'm saying? Wouldn't be post first combat.

Sorry, misread what you wrote. The 33rd was stationed at Iceland starting in '41 (air defense), and were involved in the shooting down of at least one Fw 200 Condor in the fall of '42. They were stationed there until at least '44.

~Swing

oose

Hi,

I went back and found the image and the info on the back, so here it is...hope that sorts that out!

Page2.jpg

and one more of the 33rd

Page9-1.jpg

yours stu

Chandler

Swing said:
The 33rd was stationed at Iceland starting in '41 (air defense), and were involved in the shooting down of at least one Fw 200 Condor in the fall of '42.

Really? Over Iceland? That's pretty interesting -- like to read more about that "theater."

Chandler