• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused about the best size of Eastman B-3 for myself

Lee-AVG

Hi folks,
it's getting colder and i think it's the right time to own a eastman B-3 flight jacket, but i'm so confused about the size of B-3, because the 40R B-3 fits more like the 42R and it's not snug as A-2.
The Eastman RW27752 A-2 (40R) fits me perfectly, but i'm afraid that 40R Eastman B-3 is a little bit loose to me, and 38R too short to me, because the typical measurement of 40R B-3, such as "armpit to armpit" is about 23 inches (RW27752 40R A-2 is only 21 inches), maybe too loose for my chest, but "shoulder to shoulder" 19 inches, "shoulder seam to cuff" 24 inches and "Back length" 24-25 inches fit me also well.
so could you guys give me any tips about the best size of B-3? I'll appreciate that!
As reference i'm 1.80m tall and weight: 160lbs

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Lee-AVG said:
... (RW17752 40R A-2 is only 21 inches) ...

That chest measurement looks small for a size 40 A-2, Lee. The Acme Depot give it as 23-1/2" in your size.

Eastman Rough Wear 27752 A-2 / Size 40 Regular (new 2001 pattern)

I think that a size 40 ELC B-3 will fit you well.

Lee-AVG

Thanks david!!! ;)
you'r right, the chest measurement of ELC RW27752 for size 40 at "The Acme Depot" ist 23-1/2" inches, i saw their "Jackets Measurements list" before, but it's weird, i measured the chest measurement of my own ELC RW27752 (40R) myself carefully again, it's only 21 inches, so that i'm afraid that 40R B-3 maybe too loose at my chest!

Best regards

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Lee-AVG said:
... i'm afraid that 40R B-3 maybe too loose at my chest!

It should be fine, Lee ... all the other measurements work for you, and remember that the B-3 is a much thicker jacket.

HHjackets

Lee-AVG said:
... but i measured the chest measurement of my own ELC RW27752 (40R) myself carefully again, it's only 21 inches,...Best regards

is it one of their current jackets, have they changed the cut?!

Lee-AVG

HHjackets said:
Lee-AVG said:
... but i measured the chest measurement of my own ELC RW27752 (40R) myself carefully again, it's only 21 inches,...Best regards

is it one of their current jackets, have they changed the cut?!

I'm not sure whether they changed the cut of RW27752 A-2 or not. But my jacket was purchased 6-7 years ago.

I just hope the chest measurement of 40R B-3 seems not that loose for me, because B-3 is so thick as David said.

donsom

Have you actually tried one of these jackets on for size? or ordering from Eastman like (most of) us?

The "L" size (as far as I understand) just adds approx. 1 inch to the sleeves and mid.

I ordered size ELC Roughwear redskin 44R and I'm chest size approx. 43" .... I fits tight, BUT, it's gradually starting to loosen up as I wear it. It's only been a couple of months though, but I do feel it just beginning to show signs of "molding" and breaking in to my body shape. At first I thought I should have gone with a 46R, but the midriff would have been too big.

Call Eastman and chat with them. They were great to talk to when I called. If long distance charges apply, then get hold of Skype and use your computer to call via headset @ .02cents / minute.

tgd31968

donsom said:
Have you actually tried one of these jackets on for size? or ordering from Eastman like (most of) us?

The "L" size (as far as I understand) just adds approx. 1 inch to the sleeves and mid.

I ordered size ELC Roughwear redskin 44R and I'm chest size approx. 43" .... I fits tight, BUT, it's gradually starting to loosen up as I wear it. It's only been a couple of months though, but I do feel it just beginning to show signs of "molding" and breaking in to my body shape. At first I thought I should have gone with a 46R, but the midriff would have been too big.

Call Eastman and chat with them. They were great to talk to when I called. If long distance charges apply, then get hold of Skype and use your computer to call via headset @ .02cents / minute.

My chest measures about 43.25" too. The 44R is tight? what does the jacket measure pit to pit? What is the arm length shoulder to cuff?

As far as the original post, Call eastman. They will straighten you out. Don't forget that the B-3 has all that sheepskin inside that will reduce the inside dimensions considerably vs the outer measurements. If I remember right, an A-2 is generally made about 4" larger in the chest than the tagged size to allow for movement, and sitting down etc... 21 1/2" for a tagged 40 seems a little tight.

donsom

tgd31968 said:
donsom said:

My chest measures about 43.25" too. The 44R is tight? what does the jacket measure pit to pit? What is the arm length shoulder to cuff?

Not sure if I'm measuring correctly ... but:
- pit to pit (bottom of seam under armpit with jacket laid flat) is just about 24 1/2" to 25"
- shoulder seam (outside of arm from top seam to bottom of sleeve) 24"

Again, not sure of exactly how to measure the pit to pit (jacket stretched out, laid flat, hung on a hanger, etc.)

I should be more specific. It fits tighter in the lats/shoulder and more loose in the midriff... but as I said, it is "starting" to loosen up with wear. A size 45R would be ideal in my case it seams .... :)

But this has drifted off the original topic ... apologies.

escorpion_72

Hi guys,
I have a similar problem....but I want to be able to use a thick jumper under it.
I normally wear 40 in an A2 but thats just with a shirt. Do you guys know if Eastman's B3 (the new 1943 model) are wide enough in the chest area for an extra thick jumper?

Regards,

Escorpion

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
escorpion_72 said:
... I normally wear 40 in an A2 but thats just with a shirt. Do you guys know if Eastman's B3 (the new 1943 model) are wide enough in the chest area for an extra thick jumper?

Looking at the measurements, I think you need to go up one size for the B-3, Escorpian.

donsom

Escorpion:

Not mine ... as of yet anyhow (not fully broken in). The wool pile in that area (chest, pits) is a bit constrictive. But the jacket is REALLY WARM .. but not sure how it would fare in Swedish temperatures. I'm in Canada, and it's starting to dip to near 0 Cel. at night, ... the jacket is warm to start with, and heats up if you walk for a bit to get the blood moving (with just a T-shirt underneath).

Might definitely consider going a size up.

John Lever would be the one to ask regarding your question. He has an ELC 1943 on order (according to a post last week).

escorpion_72

Yepp,
I'm waiting for John Lever to post about his new B3. Gary at Eastman thinks that 40 should do it but I'm not convinced.
I do not want to walk around and feel like a sausage :lol:

Lee-AVG

Take a look of this ELC B-3 (tagged 38R):
drxxxcowboy-img600x497-1223137479916891014-7.jpg

drxxxcowboy-img407x549-1223137480977953018-5.jpg

The model is about 1.71m high, this 38R B-3 is even definitely too short to him and the front bottom of jacket seems a littel bit weird.
I'm still not sure whether the 40R ELC B-3 with 23 inches chest measurement fits me in the chest or not, because my naked chest size is about 39-40'', and jacket's inside chest size is about 23"x2-2=44", still too loose to me, maybe i gotta put on a thick sweater under the b-3!
Hmmm, however it seems that i gotta order a 40R.

donsom

Check out John Lever's recent post on his new B-3 with the pre-worn finish ( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2730 ).

He does confirm (as I will also) that it seems that the ELC sizing has undergone a bit of a change .... making it a good idea to go up a minimum of one size. I find the midriff with mine is NOT and issue for size and does reach down far enough ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2350 ).