• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collar Stand Removal

JimmyD51

Hey Guys,

I've been reading the earlier posts about the high collar on the ELC RW 1401-P. I have an ELC Star, size
46, and love the way it fits. Really comfortable. I have since purchased The ELC RW 1401 from a member
here about a year ago. It is the older version, pre-warhorse. I wasn't happy with the fit at first, but after
a year of wearing it, it is 10 times better. It's been in the rain a few times and worn a lot while wet. This
was a great natural way of getting it to 'form' to my body shape. The collar is still huge.

Now to my point. Has anyone ever thought of having the collar stand on a jacket removed? It looks to me
like it would be a simple job for a skilled jacket maker. There is no need for any extra material, just removal
of material that's already there. This would seem to be similar to the ELC House A2. IMHO this would make
this jacket for me seem perfect. I know it wouldn't be authentic any more, but it's a repo to begin with. After
all, it only has to make me happy.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jim

zoomer

It probably would be a simple job for a skilled jacket maker. But they're pretty thin on the ground, and their skills are priced accordingly.

Another consideration is whether the un-standed collar would hang right. Simple-attached collars, the kind found on most A-2s, usually have extra depth for a nice roll-over - to simulate where the stand would have been attached, but save cutting and sewing. Unless your Star's collar is very deep in the back-of-neck area, it might be a whole new kind of uncomfy or goofy-looking without the stand.

You might want to consider looking at old crew photos for guys whose collars sat a little too high. Then you can say, "My jacket is a wartime authentic variation, and protects more of my neck during the cold months! It's all good! :cool:"

Tim P

this is feasible but a lot of hassle and may compromise the fit.
while I am not a fan of hot water treatments, my mccoys roughwear, solid as a rock and gorgeous horsehide had a treatment on the collar which I formed so is laid open like a shirt collar and 'draped' (not the best choice of word but bear with me) down the back further rather than poking the base of my skull when I drive. Have seen it in colour ww2 pics and it solves the issue perfectly.
may be worth a try.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yeah, Zoomer's right ... it's doable, but it won't sit right, and you will lose the throat hook.

You could end up with a Peter Pan A-2.

JimmyD51

You're right David, I would lose the hook. Plus the zipper would end too high and would have
to be shortened too. After looking at the back of the collar on the Star, it was cut a bit longer
to make up for not having a collar stand. The RW would need a whole new collar and then it
wouldn't match the rest of the jacket. It does look like the ones you see in original pictures
and if they put up with it, I can too. Thanks for the quick replies.

Jim