• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit USA current issue USN mil-spec G1

Marv

Anybody currently own a Cockpit USA current issue USN mil-spec G1 like the one listed below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVIREX-COCKPIT- ... 85767#shId

Just wondering what the quality was like and also the fit as Cockpit's site recommend that you order one size up from your normal size for a roomier fit or if you want the so called mil-spec fit then order your normal size.

Just a query really but I do like the current design, any advice, info would be appreciated.

Atticus

I remember that Skeeter really liked his Avirex G-1...and having flown from carriers during the Korean Conflict, Skeeter knew something about Navy leather.

AF

Vcruiser

Atticus said:
I remember that Skeeter really liked his Avirex G-1...and having flown from carriers during the Korean Conflict, Skeeter knew something about Navy leather.

AF

....and..to top it all off..he was a NightAce..!!
Say goodnight Ace...

Marv

from the replies it doesn't look like anyone owns one which probably says something about the Cockpit brand.

as for my size, I usually take a 46" reg (this is the size of my ELC G1) and yes, BK's M422As look superb.

I haven't decided on buying a Cockpit G1, I was just curious as to the quality and fit as they are pretty cheap compared to other repro makers.....and as they say, " if it's good enough for the Navy then..."

maybe that doesn't mean so much these days regarding quality of product etc. :)

unclegrumpy

I have an Avirex G-1 that is near new, though probably 10+ years old, that came with a bunch of stuff from a retired Navy Captain...but it is a size 42. It is a decent looking jacket, but nowhere as nice as the ELC G-1 you have....so why would you want one?

If you want a more modern looking version of the G-1, I would hold out and get an issue jacket from the later 1970's to the 1980's. They are out there for less money.... about half the price... of a new Cockpit G-1.

ButteMT61

I don't own this particular model (which is why I stayed quiet) but I have owned a number of Avirex/Cockpit jackets and they're very well made (most of them). I'd not hesitate if there was one I wanted at a good price. Nothing wrong with them - just don't compare them to GW, RM, etc. and you're fine. In some ways, their hides are some of the nicest I've owned. Heavy and consistent.

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
I don't own this particular model (which is why I stayed quiet) but I have owned a number of Avirex/Cockpit jackets and they're very well made (most of them). I'd not hesitate if there was one I wanted at a good price. Nothing wrong with them - just don't compare them to GW, RM, etc. and you're fine. In some ways, their hides are some of the nicest I've owned. Heavy and consistent.
I would say that is a very fair description of the Avirex G-1 I have. It is nice quality, and maybe exactly the same as was sold to the Government, but just like the newer issue A-2's, IMO it is not as nice as the older examples are.

Also, used Avirex G-1's don't hold their value. I think my near new size 42 is worth $125 to $150....and I bet a larger one would be close to that as well.

Marv

unclegrumpy said:
If you want a more modern looking version of the G-1, I would hold out and get an issue jacket from the later 1970's to the 1980's. They are out there for less money.... about half the price... of a new Cockpit G-1.

As well as my ELC G1 and also own an original issue 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1 in a size 46" but it fits like a modern size 44" so it's not for want of having a G1 but I just like the current USN issue mil-spec also.

unclegrumpy

OK, given that, I think you might want to start a new thread, with the topic question:

"Is the Cockpit USA current issue USN mil-spec G1 the exactly same jacket as what is currently being issued?"

It may well be, and I am sure it is very close....but it might have some little differences as well.

It would also be interesting to know how much a new issue G-1 costs, if they are sold in Navy Clothing Sales, and if so, would someone be willing to pick one up for you. :D

Good Luck!

PS: Here is the link to the first place to check....but to get in, you will need the help of a Sailor or a Marine...

https://www.mynavyexchange.com/uniform/ ... speed.html