• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning tarnished zip pulls

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you all have experience cleaning or restoring tarnished zip pulls? Can they be cleaned or is it simply a matter of finding period-correct replacements? What do you all think, have any of you done this in the past? Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks much.

Chris

JonnyCrow

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you all have experience cleaning or restoring tarnished zip pulls? Can they be cleaned or is it simply a matter of finding period-correct replacements? What do you all think, have any of you done this in the past? Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks much.

Chris
Besides if its a original or vintage jacket with wear, why would you want a bright shiny zipper :) I can understand if it's sticking, then a drop of oil or bitbof graphite on the teeth works

leper-colony

Hi Everyone,

Chris
Do mean a dulled finish or caked on tarnish?

cgreen

You make a good point, keeping the original vintage finish would definitely work as the zips go up and down no problem. I'm going to clean and condition the jacket and thought maybe a similar treatment on the zip pull would be a good touch.

cgreen

The finish is dull and it looks like a bit of the coating has rubbed off - kinda just looking to clean it up, get a few little rust-looking spots off, etc

Erwin

Hey Cgreen,

Having a picture of this slider/pull would be a good starting point. What kind of zipper, was it ciatrd or what is current condition? Do you want to restore to a new condition? Like I said, a picture of this zipper would be a nice thing to see....