• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning nylon jackets

A

Anonymous

I've just received the lovely N-2 from watchmanjimg that I bought through the forum. In excellent condition though it is, it wiffs of cigarette smoke - probably from long ago. How can I get the jacket cleaned ? Dry cleaning I presume is the way to go but just want to confirm that it won't affect the jackets colour (turning the blue red). Should all nylons be thus cleaned ?

And does anyone know why jackets do turn reddish as they get older ? Is it an exposure to the sun thing ?

Cheers,
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
And does anyone know why jackets do turn reddish as they get older ? Is it an exposure to the sun thing ?

I think so, it's a natural oxidisation, so dry cleaning shouldn't accelerate the process. However, the jacket's been cooped up during it's long trip, so it may come right with a little airing ..... I would only try dry cleaning as a last resort.

Here's my previous post on deodorising .......

Try airing it outside, but out of the sun, this should do it, but otherwise .....

Place it in a plastic bag, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, and seal it in for a few days.

And/or spray with an animal odour eliminator from a pet shop.

This combination has worked well for me, others on the forum like to toss the jacket into the clothes drier with coffee grounds. The debate about whether to use them first continues .....

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for that info' David.

Of all the people who frequent this incarnation of the jackets forums, I think you must get title of 'Jacket Guru' !!

I don't think that there's anything you don't know or can't help with. That willingness is very much appreciated by a lot of us. Especially as so much info has been lost over the previous versions that people have bcome unwilling to commit to re-posting.

Cheers,
Dave