• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese's version of GW repro!

CBI

So, YOU are the bidder! I emailed the seller saying that the listing was missleading and copied the link at the beginning of this thread to him/her. I suggested better clarification. The seller did reply saying they would check out my info. I am not interested in bidding but would be pissed if I had placed a bid thinking it was a BR however it doesn't really look like one anyway. Although this thread was going off topic, its good that many people have "issues" with Chinese made products. It IS a free market but I think consumers need to think a little more than always wanting a good deal. We always end up "paying" for it in other ways. Trade issues are currently very unbalanced. There are many factors of course. I also have a major bug about the fact that China is still a very communist based system, human rights issues, etc. and that we are so blinded by the cheap prices that no one seems to care. Saying this of course knowing that the US is far from perfect and getting worse! I try to monitor all of my purchases and keep things "here" if I can. If consumers could act "en mass" and set policy with thier pocket books, we might see some cool things happen in this otherwise greed based world. The current system is demonstrating what consumers seem to want .................. Admit to being off topic. :( These cheap A-2 might look OK with lots of "work" however if the leather has no character, chances are small.

442RCT

CBI said:
So, YOU are the bidder! I am not interested in bidding but would be pissed if I had placed a bid thinking it was a BR however it doesn't really look like one anyway.

I doubt my lowball bid will win, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not enough of a jacket head to be able to tell the difference between a 'good' reproduction and a 'not so good' reproduction, I'm not that descriminating that I can look at a jacket or pictures of a jacket and be able to tell the difference. I pretty much take the word of the seller and like I said in my previous post, I didn't read the disclaimer that this jacket was comparable...and not an actual RMJ/Buzz jacket. Had this subject not come up on the forum and I'd won, I'd probably still have been clueless even after receiving the jacket.

As for not buying from China for personal and political reasons...you're right, that's a whole different topic.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
I doubt my lowball bid will win ...

With no maker's tag, and no guarantee of quality ... $400.00 ain't that low. It might pay to tell eBay you entered wrong amount, and withdraw the bid. ;)

442RCT

deeb7 said:
442RCT said:
I doubt my lowball bid will win ...

With no maker's tag, and no guarantee of quality ... $400.00 ain't that low. It might pay to tell eBay you entered wrong amount, and withdraw the bid. ;)

Just got confirmation from the seller. He states the jacket was made in China and not Japan.

The Chinese made A2s on that website were selling for $ 330 US+shipping+middleman fees, so I thought $ 400 was in the ballpark. If someone else 'snipes' it, *shrug* oh well. :lol:

If you want a crazy price, a lambskin Avirex mall jacket sold for $ 335.00 recently.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

ausreenactor

In the origina Chinese vendor website..What is the currency conversion? Is the eBay seller going over the top of the retail??

Couchy

442RCT

ausreenactor said:
In the origina Chinese vendor website..What is the currency conversion? Is the eBay seller going over the top of the retail??

Couchy

The website states 2200 RMB for this jacket = $ 322.00 US
Plus 10% for a Taobao.com agent to act as an intermediary.
Plus shipping charges and any customs fees that may apply.

Peter Graham

About a year ago I bought a Chinese copy of a Gretsch guitar. It looks lovely and plays great but was about a tenth of the price of a real Gretsch. I'm happy. Real Gretsch guitars are also made in China now. Figure that one out. :?

442RCT

:D I was sniped at the last minute... :lol: , the jacket went for $ 404.00.....BUT, and this is a big BUT...the seller has offered to sell me one for $399 ;)

I'm not sure if I want to be a beta tester for these jackets, even though I do like "orphan" jackets, and I'm admittedly very curious about the quality. I'll have to have a think about this.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
... the seller has offered to sell me one for $399 ;)
... and I'm admittedly very curious about the quality.

Me too ... but the seller has already lied about the country of origin, so there's no guarantee these will even be horsehide.

Curahee

What's next North Korean B-3's with "Frozen Chosen Resevoir" finish, Russian G-1's with inside Vodka bottle pocket ?........

442RCT

deeb7 said:
442RCT said:
... the seller has offered to sell me one for $399 ;)
... and I'm admittedly very curious about the quality.

Me too ... but the seller has already lied about the country of origin, so there's no guarantee these will even be horsehide.

While I was mulling it over for a day, the seller's second chance offer expired, (I didn't know it was only good for 24 hrs). Oh well, since there's three other real Real McCoys for sale, I might bid on one of those. :roll: