• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese Barry Lyndon Monarch A2 Repro?

asiamiles

Their A-1 doesn't seem so authentic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-WW2-US-Army-Air ... 080wt_1141

So while I'd happily send then $20 for a cap (indeed, I might snag one of their Luftwaffe caps) I don't think I'd want to risk hundreds...which is a shame as they do an AN-J-3 for just $260:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-Navy-AN-J-3- ... 080wt_1141

They also do Denison Smocks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-British-Paratro ... 064wt_1141

And an A-9(!) flight jacket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-Army-Air-For ... 064wt_1141

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
Their A-1 doesn't seem so authentic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-WW2-US-Army-Air ... 080wt_1141

So while I'd happily send then $20 for a cap (indeed, I might snag one of their Luftwaffe caps) I don't think I'd want to risk hundreds...which is a shame as they do an AN-J-3 for just $260:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-Navy-AN-J-3- ... 080wt_1141

They also do Denison Smocks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-British-Paratro ... 064wt_1141

Asia Miles -

Thanks for responding. Don't mean to sound like a jerk here but I guess I don't understand, because their A1 doesn't look right how does that apply to whether or not the Monarch A2 looks good or not? The A1 is a tough jacket to reproduce, not the least of which is because there aren't a ton of originals around to get a pattern off of, certainly not as many as there are original A2s.

So, specifically how does their Monarch A2 look to you? Also, man, I don't think their AN-J-3 looks that bad, although I don't know as much about them as the A2.

Best,
Bill K.

asiamiles

bellumbill said:
Thanks for responding. Don't mean to sound like a jerk here but I guess I don't understand, because their A1 doesn't look right how does that apply to whether or not the Monarch A2 looks good or not? The A1 is a tough jacket to reproduce, not the least of which is because there aren't a ton of originals around to get a pattern off of, certainly not as many as there are original A2s.

So, specifically how does their Monarch A2 look to you? Also, man, I don't think their AN-J-3 looks that bad, although I don't know as much about them as the A2.

One really can't judge the quality of a jacket from such photos, but all I'm saying is if the specs for their A-1 are so off the mark then can you really expect them to reproduce such an accurate copy of a specific maker's A-2? OTOH, if you just want a reasonably priced generic A-2, then it's more likely to satisfy you.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
bellumbill said:

One really can't judge the quality of a jacket from such photos, but all I'm saying is if the specs for their A-1 are so off the mark then can you really expect them to reproduce such an accurate copy of a specific maker's A-2? OTOH, if you just want a reasonably priced generic A-2, then it's more likely to satisfy you.

Well, I agree with you, you can't really judge from a photo, but then again how can we tell how bad the A1 is only from its photo?

Anyway, my point was that I don't think there are so many original A1's out there to get a pattern off of whereas there are many, many examples of original A2's out there, Monarchs no less, to get a good pattern off of.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like I am antagonizing you! :)

Best regards,
Bill K.

442RCT

I probably would be more interested in buying this jacket but for the fact that I've been picking up gently used Eastman and Aero A-2s for about the same price. Those are sure things where these are still an unknown.

A

Anonymous

Deeb -

Thanks for the thread -

442nd -

You are finding gently used Eastman and Aero A2's in size 46 for under $400? Wow, if that's true I'll start looking around closer!

Thanks all!
Bill K.

Falcon_52

Bill:

The price certainly is attractive on the Monarch jacket. A few details are off to be a true reproduction of the Monarch (i.e. collar stand, pocket flap shape) but it appears to be a decent A-2 jacket.

Noel

442RCT

bellumbill said:
Deeb -

Thanks for the thread -

442nd -

You are finding gently used Eastman and Aero A2's in size 46 for under $400? Wow, if that's true I'll start looking around closer!

Thanks all!
Bill K.

:D Size matters ? :roll: I'm a sz 40 and there seems to be plenty Aeros and ELCs available for under $ 400 in sz 38s,40s and 42s. In the last 6 months I bought an ELC and an Aero from Alan, an Aero from Ramon who are forum members, and an ELC from eBay seller, Kanowarrior. I bought an ELC Rough Wear off of eBay, Hamsterbear sold me a Flight Apparel Industries in sz 38 (they run large) which I immediately sent out to be painted. ;)

zoomer

If the fit is tight, the price is right :lol:
If you need a little room, the price is gonna zoom
If you're shaped a little funny, you'll put down plenty money
If you're built like an armchair pilot, better draw out your cash and pile it
If you're planning to layer under it, you gotta pay a few extra hunder-it :geek:

But if you zip your zips and bust 'em, you better go full custom.

Vcruiser

zoomer said:
If the fit is tight, the price is right :lol:
If you need a little room, the price is gonna zoom
If you're shaped a little funny, you'll put down plenty money
If you're built like an armchair pilot, better draw out your cash and pile it
If you're planning to layer under it, you gotta pay a few extra hunder-it :geek:

But if you zip your zips and bust 'em, you better go full custom.

Hale yale... :!:

A

Anonymous

442RCT said:
bellumbill said:
Deeb -

Thanks for the thread -

442nd -

Thanks all!
Bill K.

:D Size matters ? :roll: I'm a sz 40 and there seems to be plenty Aeros and ELCs available for under $ 400 in sz 38s,40s and 42s. In the last 6 months I bought an ELC and an Aero from Alan, an Aero from Ramon who are forum members, and an ELC from eBay seller, Kanowarrior. I bought an ELC Rough Wear off of eBay, Hamsterbear sold me a Flight Apparel Industries in sz 38 (they run large) which I immediately sent out to be painted. ;)

442nd -

No, I get that about size and price, but a lot of guys like you who are incredibly lucky and can wear smaller sized originals sometimes forget that not all of us can squeeze into those, so we are always looking for great repros in bigger sizes and don't mind paying the high prices to have them. However, if I can find a really good repro for a cheaper price in a bigger size I feel like I've hit the jackpot! I don't know if this jacket is the answer, but honestly I don't think it looks too bad. I may just bite the bullet and grab one to see - its worth the risk for under $400.

As far as the Monarch details, I have looked at some originals and the pocket flaps on the originals were pretty darn rounded not unlike the repro.

Thanks all for responding.

Peter Graham

The range of gear they carry is amazing, thousands of items. They even have a B-10 which doesn't look too bad. I'd love to see it in the flesh though.

zoomer

I nabbed one off eBay. It's fairly nice. The faux alpaca is softer than the real thing ever would be, but I suppose that's a feature, not a bug. The cut and fit are good over all, but I could use an inch and a half or two more of waistband. Wanna see some pix? I'll snap some.