• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charity shop nice find..'Brando'-style jacket

havocpaul

On a regular visit to my local charity shops I saw a really nice biker jacket on a hanger priced at £30. A size 44 and fits as such it has real character especially with the brass zippers and snaps giving it a real vintage look. It had a detachable belt which I removed as it is more comfortable without it. The maker's tag was inside and I took a chance to e-mail them as the jacket doesn't appear in their product list on their website...this was their reply:

"Hi Paul,
You are a very lucky guy to find one of these.
They were produced for the 1994 Bike show as a new example and variation of the Standard fixed belt Brando jkt For special orders only.They were not produced after 1996.

They were made of the highest quality materials available a that time. 1.3 1.4 thickness English natural drummed cowhide.100% Cotton lining,with 4oz insulation and brass fiittings. They were designed, and handmade here in Coventry with only 50 being produced"

Here's some pics, I guess it is slightly large for me but I am most pleased to find such a gem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/

MikeyB-17

I love jackets like this, but I got rid of the one I had just before Xmas because it made me look like a complete thug. Beginning to wish I hadn't, and have started eyeing them up on Ebay again. I'd have been well pleased if I'd found a really nice one like that at that price. Does it have a bi-swing?

havocpaul

Hi, yes it has a bi-swing back. The quality easily matches if not betters that of Lewis or Schott, I can see what they mean by hand-made. I have worn it out this week, it is very warm and although weighs a great deal when it's on it is very comfortable. realistically a size below would have suited me but of course that wasn't an option! I was also worried I might look a bit 'rough' or some past-it rocker (guess I am!) but everyone says it looks really cool in a good way. How long I keep it will depend on this economic gloom. I haven't worn the heavy belt with it and it's a nice option to be able to remove it, the loops are the same as the American police jackets and although they say it is a 'Brando' style it also closely resembles the classic CHP jackets.