• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you date a Star G1?

Atticus

D-series ran from '68 (I think) through '71. The first of the E-series Stars appeared in 1972.

There's a number on your jacket's tag that begins with "DSA". The two digits folowing "100" denote the contract's fiscal year. In the example below, the contract date is 1971.

The second photo shows that Brill Brothers had already begun their E-series jackets in 1971.

JackiesTesters165.jpg

7b06_12.jpg

AF

Marv

Just a quickie to follow on from this - I have a 1968 martin lane G1 and I have heard this mentioned on here before but never quite understood, what is the significance of the letter C or D in the label tag number - does it relate to manufacture dates within the set year ?

Jaydee

Marv said:
Just a quickie to follow on from this - I have a 1968 martin lane G1 and I have heard this mentioned on here before but never quite understood, what is the significance of the letter C or D in the label tag number - does it relate to manufacture dates within the set year ?
If you mean the spec # it only denotes model versions A-E, each lasting a period of years. The DSA/DLA # always has a "C" in it regardless of year of the G-1.

A

Anonymous

Are Star deemed to be considered a relatively 'good' maker of the G-1 ?

I appreciate that H&L Block are numero uno and G&F a worthy second but I've never really seen a list in order of quality of manufacture.

just wondering ....

Also, anyone have an Aero AN6552 ? Are they any good ? For a repro ?

Dave

mowgli

Jacket Head,

It would be a very subjective analysis to say one is better than the other. My thoughts vary depending on which jacket you are referring to (M-422, M-422a, 55J14, 7823 (AER), 7823 A-B-C-D). Star's 55J14 have some of the best leather of any jackets in the entire spectrum, and their 7823 Cs, Ds, and Es are also nice. Star's Cs and Ds often have honey colored mouton collars which I personally prefer. Your preference for M-422as made by H&L / G&F compares to mine made by Church / Ostermann / Monarch. The only jackets I'd would steer clear of are Gregory (poor workmanship) and some Brills (leather concerns).

Mowgli

A

Anonymous

Hi Mowgli,
I was thinking purely of G-1's. Much as A-2 makers had slightly differing cuts and collar , pocket details and general quality of manufacture, I was wondering if the same could be said of the G-1 ?

I know the earlier made ones are deemed to be better quality but as we get the the 60's, thru 70's and 80's the general consensus is that quality gets worse and some makers used steer but stamped (?) to give a goat effect. The colouring varies too with some a milk chocolate and others dark seal. Mouton or fake, the colour seesm to vary a bit too.

I didn't know if there was a desirability rated classification.

Dave

mowgli

Dave,

Sorry for the long winded reply, it was 0530 in the morning following a run. Basically, I think Star's jackets are of excellent quality all the way through the early "E" models. Other than the collar material (dynal? vs mouton), they all have equally nice quality.

Mowgli

NickG

My first Post! Great site!
How about a Star Sports Wear G1 coded as follows:
SPEC 55J14 (AER)
CONTRACT No. N383S-51863

Hope I got the letters right!
Is it Korean war era?
Thanks

NickG

Thanks! I had a feeling it was an early Korean conflict era G-1!
So FY 1951 = between July 1st 1950, and June 30 1951.

Great!