• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone I.D. this B-3?

WBOONE

This original B3 is on ebay with 45 bids so far. Seems to be in pretty good condition. Has a good spec tag but is the "no name" type. Any guess on the contractor? Thanks, Joe B

eBay item number:

Dani-B

Wow, a very nice and well preserved B-3, a real Beauty! Thanks for sharing. Nearly too nice for an WW2-veteran. I'm curious of the contractor. The coathanger hurts my eyes - what a crime! :eek:
Regards Dani

WBOONE

Thanks Andrew. I havent heard that name before. Was that their only contractor? How large was the contract?

Silver Surfer

bernstein seems right according to the mistsuhiro book, "full gear". i agree that this b-3 is beautifully preserved, but i have to point out that regardless of the seemingly solid condition, even the best preserved b-3s are prone to cracking, rot, flaking, seam fatigue,, etc, due to how they were dyed, poly coated, and constructed. unlike irvins that were made for the long haul, b-3s were made for a short war duration, thus, no consideration was made about longevity. bottom line, imho, is that as a mannequin warmer, its a beauty, but not to be considered as a wearer, even a limited occasion wearer.

Roughwear

H. Bernstein had at least two contracts for B-3s in 1942 and 1943. They made other types of jackets for the USAAF. I do not know the size of their contracts and to do this one would need to research in the US Archives. However each contract was likely to be for at least 10,000 jackets and trousers. I have owned many original B-3s over the years, but sold them all as they are not sensible wearers today. As Vic says they are prone to splitting if worn!

WBOONE

Make you wonder a bit. A recent ebay listing of a Aero contract B-3 jacket, in at least as good a condition as this one if not better, ( size 46) with a pair of PerrySportswea roriginal leather flight pants ended with no bidders at less than $800.00, yet this B3 sells quickly for over $300 more with 64 bidders. What was wrong with the Aero to have zero bidders?

WBOONE

What is the issue with sheepskin that causes it to not hold up as opposed to horsehide,goat, or cowhide? I know people on here have original A2's in almost new condition with strong supple leather. Should last for years. Is the sheepskin simply a lesser quality leather or maybe the B-3 specs called for a somewhat thinner weight leather and the thick fleece lining did most of the "work" keeping the wearer warm?