• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson, Real McCoy's MA-1 (and others): Washing at Home

TheManWithNoPlan

Hello Vintage Leather Jackets community,

I am intrigued by the Buzz Rickson, Real McCoy's MA-1s, L-2A, L-2B, B-10, WEP jackets.

Anybody clean these jackets without lugging them to the Dry Cleaner? I came across Dryel "at home" dry cleaning kit, with a bag to protect garments.

Would it be OK to clean these jackets this way?

Thanks in advance.

coolhandluke

FWIW, I recently handwashed a Buzz L-2 and B-10 (separately) in the bathtub using cool water and Woolite detergent. After rinsing, I placed each jacket in the washing machine on spin cycle to remove the excess water and then air dried. Both jackets turned out perfect with no shrinkage or ill effects to the wool knits. I don't believe that an MA-1 or L-2B should be submerged in water in this fashion though.

Last edited:

TheManWithNoPlan

Understood.

I am primarily interested in wearing the MA-1s and L-2s they make....and washing them at home, say, after sitting at a restaurant somewhere.

The B-10 maybe would be for..... special occasions....

Dany McDonald

I do clean all my Nylon kits in the washer, hand-wash cycle or even gentler if available, cold water and very mild soap with Borax (cleans and good with dealing with mildew). I never use the dryer. Hang dry in a cool environment, no direct heat.
Hot water can mess with the original wool fabric in N2-N3's and B-15's and maybe MA1. It can shrink and lump under the nylon...no good!

BUT: Pay special attention to any fur parts. Water soaking will hardened old leather (under the fur) especially if its very dry. So caution with vintage original N2-N3's and B-15's... I did have bad and very good experiences with these...

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted with the results, we like seeing flight jackets... ;)

Dany

Last edited: