• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson Jeans - DENIM, 1937 MODEL

Dany McDonald

Hey P-47,

Look at this post, I remember talk about Sugar Cane (Buzz) repro might be interesting to contact the owner directly for pointers!

entertainment

Hey P-47,

Look at this post, I remember talk about Sugar Cane (Buzz) repro might be interesting to contact the owner directly for pointers!

Although made by the same company, I find Buzz and SC to be very different, at least in the workwear shirts. With the Buzz shirts, the intention seems to be an attempt at a faithful recreation. On the other hand, the SC shirts are more of a riff on a vintage shirt with tweaks to the fabric and cut. I like the Buzz shirts a lot more.

The shirts in the photo below are not the same type (Buzz on left, SC on right), but the SC shirt has really narrow sleeves that make them impossible to roll up on my fairly skinny arms and the fabric crinkles in a weird way that I have never seen on anything vintage (look at the collar). Even ironing will not take out these wrinkles. This was clearly intentional as I have the blue version which does the same thing. One reason the wrinkling may be happening is that the fabric is really heavy, too heavy. The collar shape also looks tweaked to me. The Buzz shirt has a traditional workwear cut.

I do have the SC 47s and am not a big fan, but I would be tempted with these Buzz jeans if they were available in the States. I know the Buzz chinos are well regarded.

I did look on some of the denim forums but did not find any comments on the Buzz 1937.

IMG_5248.JPG

Dany McDonald

Hi John,

Yes they are different parent company under Toyo and I do like both for the quality, cut and attention to details.

I am sure the Buzz Denim is probably very nice and mega well made and probably very close to the era they are recreating in the fit and cut, since like you said Buzz in the repro parent and SC vintage side.

That is a funky wrinkle I havent seen on my SC shirts. BTW I love SC twill shirts, they really look and feel vintage in every term of the word.

Cheers,

Dany

P-47 thunderbolt

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It has made me think that the buzz denims are likely to be top rate, the more I look into 40s denim the more I like it . I may put in an order when pay day comes around

mulceber

Go for it and keep us updated! Jeans are getting popular here and I like it.

Dany

Agreed - I actually wish we had a dedicated denim section, instead of just "related gear." That said, interest is only just starting to expand, so I can understand why there isn't one.

mulceber

Great idea, can the forum adapt to new interests and expand with new sections?

Shouldn't be a problem, judging by previous boards I've been on - you'd just need an admin to do it, ideally one who'd also be willing to take the time to move some of the relevant threads (this one, the "how many selvedge jeans do you have" thread, Kermit's thread about Momotaro, maybe a couple others) into the new section.