• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz M-1941 Field Jacket

asiamiles

I've never really seen the appeal of the M-1941. For some it has historical importance, even iconic status, but never has for me, registering neither through real life or in the movies...though I do think Combat! is great. :D I've never thought it looked a particularly stylish jacket either, and when I've tried them on in the past my feelings have only been confirmed. A while back I picked up a patch BR M-1941 and offered it for sale here as it didn't suit me at all...it's still available and will be relisted on eBay soon. However, I still (foolishly it would seem) went ahead and picked up a plain Buzz M-1941. Neither are the current model being offered by the company and both differ from each other as well; the outer shell is slightly different as are the buttons, while the patched one has contrasting stitching; the patched one has a regular label while the plain one seems to be an exclusive made for Tokyo Phantom.

It was a bit on the cold side yesterday and for some reason I picked the M-1941 to wear even though it seemed it really wasn't the best jacket for the job...but it seemed to go with what I was wearing. Surprisingly for a such a lightweight and seemingly almost flimsy jacket, it did keep me warm and accordingly I began to warm to it. Suddenly it didn't seem so lacking in style. I really enjoyed the extra length it offered in comparison with most flight, deck and tanker jackets. My main (only?) complaint would be the cuffs; I find them too loose if worn unbuttoned, but a little too tight if buttoned (and requiring unbuttoning just to take off the jacket); I'm curious why there isn't a third button in the middle, which would seemingly be an ideal position, and am wondering if I decide to keep the jacket if I should consider moving one of the buttons accordingly? Any thoughts on this? The photos below were taken by the seller.

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

havocpaul

I wore a repro throughout the UK winter of 2008/9 and found it to be surprisingly warm for its thickness and as comfortable as my beloved Harrington. I agree that the cuffs do tend to let the wind in if left unbuttoned but I also found that when done up my wrists felt restricted and I couldn't access my watch! I have seen originals altered in all sorts of ways including adding or moving the buttons, many were also shortened which is why I guess many repros have an incorrect line of stitching around the cuffs, I take it the one you just bought is a cheaper jacket than a Buzz one? I see nothing wrong with altering it but then if you eventually decide to sell it on it might reduce the value.

Andrew

I'm wearing mine as I write this (with BR chinos)- tonight was it's first public outing and I have to agree on all counts. I'm used to wearing A-2's and my Hartmann but I felt a little self conscious in this one but it's a really warm thing and I like it's unconstructed look for a change. Spot on with the comment on the cuffs. Mines an ATF so is probably less tailored but I'm baffled by the sizing. I wear a 46-48 A-2 but this 44L M-41 is baggy on me and looks slightly shabby due to creasing but I suspect it's one of those things that will improve with age and wear.

Tim P

the lining material is wool shirting and while m41's cannot be described as warm jackets in the way that shearling and heavyweight nylon jackets can, they are still surprisingly warm for their weight. consider that over one layer of wool ( a shirt) or two ( a shirt and a sweater) or three wool undershirt, shirt and sweater) each trapping a layer of air, the warmth can be layered quite effectively.
Add to that the windproof shell and the jacket is comfortable over a wide range of temperatures.
I have always found then to be comfortable and stylish

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I wore a repro throughout the UK winter of 2008/9 and found it to be surprisingly warm for its thickness and as comfortable as my beloved Harrington. I agree that the cuffs do tend to let the wind in if left unbuttoned but I also found that when done up my wrists felt restricted and I couldn't access my watch! I have seen originals altered in all sorts of ways including adding or moving the buttons, many were also shortened which is why I guess many repros have an incorrect line of stitching around the cuffs, I take it the one you just bought is a cheaper jacket than a Buzz one? I see nothing wrong with altering it but then if you eventually decide to sell it on it might reduce the value.

No, mine is a Buzz Tokyo Phantom one, but after reading the above I think I will alter the positioning of one of the buttons at the cuff (I prefer not to add a non-matching button) but the question is which one? I guess moving the one that simply holds the straps in place makes more sense especially since any stitch holes would be hidden.

Peter Graham

I love M-41's. Based on a civilian wind cheater it looks sharp and stylish, not too military to those who don't know but very military to those who do. Personally, I've never had a problem with the cuffs. The buttons seem fine to me but I've always worn a sweater or long sleeved shirt underneath.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Personally, I've never had a problem with the cuffs. The buttons seem fine to me but I've always worn a sweater or long sleeved shirt underneath.

I don't think it would be that comfortable without a long sleeve garment underneath it, as the lining feels a bit on the rough side...that's just from trying it on over a t-shirt.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
Peter Graham said:
Personally, I've never had a problem with the cuffs. The buttons seem fine to me but I've always worn a sweater or long sleeved shirt underneath.

I don't think it would be that comfortable without a long sleeve garment underneath it, as the lining feels a bit on the rough side...that's just from trying it on over a t-shirt.

You've obviously never had to wear 'shirts, KF' ! Also known as shirts, hairy. we used to try to shave them to get the wool fibres removed to reduce irritation a little. I think the US Army put their WW2 servicemen through a similar hell. Eventually you get used to the feel against the skin :D

Dave