• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buzz jacket.. criminal damage?

Tim P

well all my hankering after a buzz deck jacket left me ambivalent when I finally got one. The jackets cellulose impregnated coth interlining makes you rustle like a catering pack of doritos, sweat like a paratrooper in a math test and the natural stiffness of the body panels because the seams are too thick) means that the collar wont lay flat, rather it pokes you in the cheekbone.

In frustration I carefully unpicked a side seam in the liner and snipped out the interlining completely. The side seam will sew up perfectly and I now have a jacket that is comfortable and quiet. Delightfully so.
A sacrilege some might say but as the interlining is designed for 30 foot arctic seas and so forth I felt that nothing would be lost by the tasteful removal of the inner. Yes water repellence is compromised but the trade ooff is worth it.

Tough call, not least due to the price, but as I have no plans to sell it ever its now in a state that works for me. I would recommend it.

Weasel_Loader

Don't "sweat" it! :lol:

GIs would have done the same thing. We always found ways to "rig" something to make it work properly. ;)

Peter Graham

Tough call indeed. It must have been very annoying to resort to those measures. Very cool jacket, I may add. Wouldn't mind one myself.

asiamiles

The jackets cellulose impregnated coth interlining makes you rustle like a catering pack of doritos, sweat like a paratrooper in a math test and the natural stiffness of the body panels because the seams are too thick) means that the collar wont lay flat, rather it pokes you in the cheekbone.
This is just because it was new. I had an almost new, very lightly worn one (that I sold to a VLJ member...a move I now rather regret) and it was competely silent and not in the slightest bit stiff. If you'd just worn it a few times I'm sure you would have found it would have softened up...or maybe a quick rinse would have done the trick.

Tim P

youre right I expect. Maybe giving it a chance to wear in would have been prudent. I don't regret it though as it is comfortable now and the interlining was superfluous as far ad I was concerned.

Tim P

Thats true. The body of the jacket at least as the arms are not lined in that way. Got other stuff for heavy rain. ;)

rich

On the BR site, are they claiming the fabric itself is waterproof? Never got mine wet enough to find out........................

JUNGLE CLOTH
経に細糸、緯に太糸を使った布地で、緯に縞模様が目立つ。緯糸、経糸の太さの違いから、生地の密度が高まり、防風・防水性に優れているのが特徴。N-1デッキジャケットなどに使用。
In N-1 deck jackets and the like, this stripped pattern stands out as the density of the cloth results from the difference in weft and warp thicknesses. Features are waterproof and wind breaking.