• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullion Hq AAF Shoulder Patch on A-2s

alcon

I've heard of bullion Hq AAF shoulder patches on A-2s before but, never seen one. Was this, in fact, done? Also, was the bullion patch mounted on leather and then sewn on the jacket or was the patch sewn directly onto the jacket? Thank you!

unclegrumpy

I have seen them attached both ways, but almost all have had a leather outer ring sewn to them, and then that is sewn to the jacket. Sometimes they are leather backed as well, but just as often not. Most typically you see these bullion patches from CBI units, but I have seen English made ones too.

zoomer

I always associated bullion insignia with Class A wear. The wirework would get messed up fast with harnesses and such dragging over it. But anything's possible.

unclegrumpy

Most bullion insignia was made for Class A wear, especially the English made pieces. However, you do see a lot of bullion made in India and other places in the CBI that made it onto flight jackets in the form of both shoulder and squadron insignia. None of it was very practical, but that never seemed to stop anyone from wearing it.

Even less practical, but in my view more artistic, were the Chinese made hand embroidered silk squadron insignia. Some of those are truly amazing. More amazing is they can barely stand getting wet without the colors running.

alcon

I FOUND IT !!! While looking through, "Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens" by Jon Maguire, on page 142 I found a bullion patch with the following caption, "This A.A.F patch is a combination, wool, leather, and bullion for use on an A-2 jacket." Sorry I don't have any way to post the pic however, maybe somebody that has the book could help. :D

majormajor1

alcon said:
Sorry I don't have any way to post the pic however, maybe somebody that has the book could help. :D

I notice that a few folks on here do not know how to post pictures - and there is nothing in the FAQs to enlighten them. Could the mods not tell folks how to do it?

If not, I am happy to put up a tut.

Please let me know :D