• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffalo Hide

dadgad

Hi guys, need advice from anyone who has a jacket in buffalo hide, I would like to have Aero Leather Sc. to produce a custom AN6552 or M422A for me in that kind of leather, looks like jackets in buffalo could be tanned in russet tone only, I'd better say that is the only tone of leather I've seen so far for a buffalo hide jacket.
My question is, does russet buffalo really tends always to a yellowish tone year after year?
If you have pictures to post it would be great.

Thanks
GL

Vcruiser

My Buff jacket is the seal..unfortunately not offered anymore by Aero.
It's my understanding that the russet Buffalo is quite different..resembling vintage goat rather than old horse like the seal buff. Different tanning methods..I was told.
A good example of Aero russet buffalo is pictured on their "Californian" jacket on the website. Sorry...I have no idea how it ages.
Van

greyhound52

dadgad said:
Hi guys, need advice from anyone who has a jacket in buffalo hide, I would like to have Aero Leather Sc. to produce a custom AN6552 or M422A for me in that kind of leather, looks like jackets in buffalo could be tanned in russet tone only, I'd better say that is the only tone of leather I've seen so far for a buffalo hide jacket.
My question is, does russet buffalo really tends always to a yellowish tone year after year?
If you have pictures to post it would be great.

Thanks
GL

I had a buffalo hide A2 produced in the late 1980s from Aero and did not have a yellowish tone at all. I will see if I can dig up some pics.

MikeyB-17

I used to own an Aero Highwayman in buffalo-it was black, so can't help with the colour-it was a mistake, from the sale page, apparently wrongly made with a batch intended for Levis jackets (Aero had the contract for those-wonder if they still do?). They used buffalo that was tanned to resemble '30's goatskin. It was the best-smelling jacket I've ever had, although I wasn't crazy about the hide-it was quite stiff and cardboard-like, and I wasn't keen on the jacket, so I didn't wear it enough to break it in.

dadgad

Thanks very much to everybody for the replies with a special thanks to greyhound52 for providing the link with the pictures.
Much appreciated.
GL