• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British Flight Kit

442RCT

This is the store of my R*t B*st*rd friend who got me started buying flight jackets after a decade of blissful abstinence. When I walked into his store, which has absolutely nothing to do with aircraft or flight jackets, it was like an alcoholic who'd been on the wagon being given a sneaked drink. His store had a B-17 formation painted on the wall, mannequins dressed in flying kit, all those 1/18th scale model airplanes hanging from the ceiling and aviation posters plastered on the walls. Even with all this memorabilia in his store, this man did not own ONE single flight jacket. 'Tis sweet revenge for me...he finally bought an A-2 and is planning on getting it painted up. Hopefully he'll catch the fever and buy more...and more.

In the mean time, can those experts out there give this chap some help. He has this mannequin dressed in British Flying kit and doesn't know what the nomenclature of the gear (helmet, goggles, etc.) and would appreciate an appraisal of as much of the gear as possible.
I found the 'survival' whistle pretty interesting. it has a compass built in. I'm guessing this was a private purchase item for camping and not an issue item.
DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0040-1.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

Dr H

Hi
Your friend could do worse than pick up examples of the following two books:

Luftwaffe Vs. Raf: Flying Equipment of the Air War, 1939-45
Author(s): PRODGER MICK J.
ISBN10: 0764302493
ISBN13: 9780764302497
Format: Hardcover
Pub. Date: 6/1/1998
Publisher(s): Schiffer Pub Ltd

Luftwaffe vs. RAF; Flying Clothing of the Air War, 1939-45
Author(s): Mick J.Prodger
ISBN10: 0764302345
ISBN13: 9780764302343
Format: Hardcover
Pub. Date: 3/1/1997
Publisher(s): Schiffer Publishing

Both available through Amazon etc. I have the latter and, although slim on material on Irvins, it does have much detail and plenty of images (as you'd anticipate from Schiffer).

Cheers

Ian

Andrew

RCT, if you can get me some more shots i'll be able to help more, but in the meantime;

-the boots are the best thing here- 1939 Flying boots- about the most desirable pattern around- they have canvas calves.
- The goggles are RCAF MkIII (wide leather pads) and not as sought after as the RAF MkIIIA's
- Looks to be a Type C Fleet Air Arm flying helmet- it has the standard Type C head part but the leather doughnuts of the earlier more rare Type B (Classic Battle of Brit type). This is not so common but not terribly sought after.
- Sidcot flying suit- looks to be in good nic and a largiish size- Does he want to sell it cos i'm after one!
- 1932 pattern Mae west with rubber stole (bladder). Looks to be by the yellow colour to be the RCAF type which is really the same as the RAF type only not as rare, but good that it still has it's bladder.
-Appears to be 1933 pattern flying gauntlets which are not rare but are in demand- especially if they are a matching pair (same serials and AM- Air Ministry stamps).
- Scarf - unknown

Not bad setup. what kind of shop does he have and is this stuff for sale?

The good Doctor's correct, all Mick Prodgers books are "the" word on Brit, German, US and Commonwealth flying gear.

442RCT

Leadsky said:
RCT, if you can get me some more shots i'll be able to help more, but in the meantime;
Not bad setup. what kind of shop does he have and is this stuff for sale?

The good Doctor's correct, all Mick Prodgers books are "the" word on Brit, German, US and Commonwealth flying gear.

A big THANKS :D for the info, he'll appreciate it. I was told many of the items 'may' be for sale, seems a customer of his saw his flight displays and asked if he'd be interested in displaying his mannequins, of course he said yes, then later ended up buying the whole lot when the customer offered it for sale. I'll take some more shots and post them for you. Anything specific you want closups of ?

The man owns a firearms repair store, as I said, it has nothing to do with military memorabilia sales. It's kind of an interesting story though, customers would come in, see all this stuff and bring in their personal memorabilia for 'display', many of the WW2 and VN vets would outright give him their items, "I don't have anyone to leave my stuff to when I die and it looks like it'll get a good home here, it'll be in good company" So his shop has become an ad hoc military museum. Those items are not for sale as they were donated to be displayed.
The customer who had the Brit Kit is a local Highway Patrolman, so he had no sentimental attachment to the gear.

Thanks again, Jay

442RCT

The flight logs in the flight suit were from a Fairey Seafox pilot:
DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

He also had some type of aero calculator:
DSCF0059.jpg

In a leather case hanging off the mannequin, there was a rangefinder:
DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg