• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

boot color

bebel

Black boots I displayed in my pilots post are very like M48 russet boots. I had have information that they were the 1956 balck version of the M48 boots. Yes, they are the same except the color.
Enclosed a scan of the the "Guide to aircrew personal and aircraft installed equipment" (August 1958), and a photo of my boots.

Hoping this helps.
Franck

i1v0.jpg

oxc5.jpg

watchmanjimg

bebel said:
Black boots I displayed in my pilots post are very like M48 russet boots. I had have information that they were the 1956 balck version of the M48 boots. Yes, they are the same except the color.
Enclosed a scan of the the "Guide to aircrew personal and aircraft installed equipment" (August 1958), and a photo of my boots.

Hoping this helps.
Franck

i1v0.jpg

oxc5.jpg

Franck, my compliments on your latest photo shoot and also for the excellent information. I've acquired a decent example of these boots myself since the last time we discussed this, and I also have a beautiful '62-dated pair of dedicated flight boots with laced-in Conmar zippers. This type likely reflects the completion of the long-range improvement program referenced in your materials.

wheat1479

I was AF from 1968 to 72 and we were issued chukka boots and dress shoes,black of course.I was in radar.They werent low cut boots as pictured above,but different in style.Other Airmen depending on the field they were in, wore the combat style as above.

Phantomfixer

The Chukka is a very nice boot....wore them at Ramstein on the flightline as a crew chief on F-4s...When the AF switched to BDUs they could no longer be worn, except for maybe flight crew or in blues.....they were steel toe too.
we called the capped black boot a jump boot. Very comfortable but could not be worn in MX...no steel toe