• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK Half Belt in Capeskin?

geedee

Hi guys I thought I'd seek the advice of others much more experienced than me! I'm thinking of ordering a classic Half-Belt jacket - specifically, the BK Windfall pictured below - but I was thinking of getting it made up in Russet Capeskin. I have two other jackets (both from Aero, one in Russet Vicenza and one in Black Jerky; I really like the latter!) and am after something more supple and lighter for the warmer months. Can you guys advise, based on your experience -
(1) Would the Half Belt style of jacket even work in a lighter leather such as Capeskin? Have any of you guys got one or something similar?
(2) Any feedback on sizing etc on the Windfall would be very helpful. BK have sent me the standard size measurements, but it'd be good to know your feedback on the overall feel and fit; is it a trim fit, high armholes, narrow sleeves, big neck-hole........anything really. I'm 6ft 2inch and 180lbs, quite skinny, long arms.
Thanks guys very much appreciated!!!
1710087973946.png

B-Man2

If capeskin is what you prefer then disregard my response. I would not choose capeskin for this particular jacket if you intend to use it as a daily wearer. It’s too soft and it wrinkles up and doesn’t hold its shape well . (See the photo of Jimmy Doolittle below wearing an A-1 style capeskin jacket.)

IMG_2841.png

This jacket should be made out of something that is a little more durable and maintains some of its original shape. Just my opinion.

Silver Surfer

cape was used a fairly often for "sport" style jackets, such as half belts, button ups,, etc, during the 1920s. 30s, and into the 1940s. if you can source rin Tanaka's leather jacket book [title?] you will see many examples. opinion? I think that a warm weather wearer in cape is nifty idea. from my experience, the bk line of civy jackets tend to be trim fitting, and your case, as per your measurements, I would spec a long, or extra long regardless of the hides you chose.

geedee

Hi guys @B-Man2 thanks for that, I do like the half belt style, maybe I should go for BK's Liberty Horsehide, looks like that might be a tad more robust than the Capeskin. But I found Aero's Vicenza horsehide a tad thicker/firmer than what I'm after, so I'm hoping the Liberty is half-way between the two maybe?
@Silver Surfer great advice, yes I'll check out their Long fitting - most jackets are well short of my wrists!!

entertainment

I'm with Burt on this one. Capeskin is not as durable as horsehide or goatskin. Goatskin might be a nice alternative to either HH or capeskin. Is it possible to get samples from BK to check out how supple the leathers are? You decision to avoid HH seems logical though, I must say.

Also, it might be worthwhile reading this thread. I have no experience with BK, so no personal opinions.

mulceber

I love the look of that leather too, just not sure it would suit a half-belt style?
Worthwhile concern. Not sure what the answer is, but FWIW, the most popular and accurate leather for BK's Indy jacket is striated lambskin. Their Indy jacket has some similar lines to the Westfall, and striated lambskin looks pretty similar to capeskin, so I...think it would be fine? Especially in seal.

geedee

Good advice Jan, I think I'll try and get hold of some samples from them to compare - although I'm not sure of how much a real impression one can get from a piece of leather 2" square! :) Thanks again!

Xopher

I have samples of all of bill Kelso leathers.

The Capeskin it amazing. It almost feels stretchy but thick at the same time. It definitely will not hold any shape though.

The cut of BK jackets is really trim. But since the Capeskin has stretch to it that might not be a problem at all.

I just received a BK Leathertogs A-1 in horse hide and it’s pure magic.