• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso knit replacement

MikeyB-17

My old ELC steer A-2's cuffs have been getting progressively more shredded in recent years. I've never got around to getting them replaced, but when Platon offered free knit replacement, it prompted me to get them done. ELC are only an hour's drive from me I admit, but I applaud Platon's enterprise in getting an A-2 on the market which competes with the big boys and delivers a decent jacket at a realistic price. I'm not in a position to buy one of his jackets (yet), but I thought I'd give him some support and let him do my knits. I sent it on April 7th, was contacted by Platon on Tuesday to say it was done, and I got it back on Thursday. I have no doubt that it would take considerably longer if I sent them to Aero and probably ELC as well! I am well pleased with the results! Firstly, to my surprise they'd done the waistband as well-the old one was fine, and I thought they'd just match the new cuffs as closely as possible, but it's had a complete reknit. The knits are a touch darker than the ELC ones, but they match the jacket very well, and I like the caramel-ish colour. They appear a lot more robust than the ELC ones too, which although they looked authentic were always a bit loose-weaved and never looked terribly hard-wearing, although to be fair they lasted several years-I should have had them done a while ago though. The cuffs are double-woven and are currently quite tight, although I'm sure they'll loosen a bit. The waistband has been done well using the original stitch holes. All in all I have no complaints, and if his jackets are as good I hope to get one one day! I've paid for shipping to Greece both ways, which has come to £48. I don't know how much ELC are currently charging for a complete re-knit, but I'm happy to give Platon my support and am extremely happy with the job he's done.

Old knits
DSCF3753.jpg

New ones
DSCF3837.jpg

RCSignals

Very nice work. I like how the sleeve knit have been put on, the originals looked not only stretched but 'short'. The new knit length looks right to me.

A

Anonymous

Sorry delay, but due to this was a free job, couldn't do any faster.

Billl Kelso continues to offer this free service

MikeyB-17

I'm certainly not complaining about the turnaround time, Platon-I reckon either of the UK makers would have taken considerably longer. My one minor criticism would be that the thread used to do the waistband is considerably paler than the old stuff, so you can see it's been replaced, but you have to look hard to see it. I feel a bit churlish pointing it out, but in the spirit of constructive criticism it's the only thing that maybe could be improved. Otherwise I'm delighted with the job.

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean
It's usually VERY hard to match the colors of the threads not only because you need to be buying from the same supplier, but because the color of thread on a e.g. ten year old jacket is totally different than what it was when it was new. We are replacing old thread with new, so some differences are unavoidable. I asked if it was possible to use the original thread, but the answer was 'no'. Once removed can't be used again.