• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big watch vs cuff?

kkochheiser

I'd certainly be careful. The thickest and most angular watch I have is an IWC Ingenieur at 14.5mm. It is a tight enough fit under the cuff of my ELC A-1 (tightest cuff and smallest sleeves) that I usually just wear another watch if I know that I'm going to wear that jacket. Otherwise, I'm extra careful peeling the cuff back to read the time. I'm not sure 18mm would even fit through the sleeve on my A-1! On the other hand my IWC Portuguese Automatic is 13.9mm and is smoothly curved and fits through the cuff pretty easily, so shape makes a difference too.

Good luck.

Kent

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tcwu said:
I probably just not wear my watch if I want to wear my A-2 or G-1.

Yeah, I made that decision. Even though my watch is from the 'boy's size' 1940's, it's more comfortable without it with a knitted cuff.

jacketimp

I probably just not wear my watch if I want to wear my A-2 or G-1.[/quote]

your A2 or your watch.......chooose ;)

jacketimp

kkochheiser said:
I'd certainly be careful. The thickest and most angular watch I have is an IWC Ingenieur at 14.5mm. It is a tight enough fit under the cuff of my ELC A-1 (tightest cuff and smallest sleeves) that I usually just wear another watch if I know that I'm going to wear that jacket. Otherwise, I'm extra careful peeling the cuff back to read the time. I'm not sure 18mm would even fit through the sleeve on my A-1! On the other hand my IWC Portuguese Automatic is 13.9mm and is smoothly curved and fits through the cuff pretty easily, so shape makes a difference too.

Good luck.

Kent

any experience with da IWC BIG pilot..............

Tommer45

jacketimp said:
panerai aktos anyone............

The Arktos is a beauty! My Panny and U-Boat are both tight fits with both my Langlitz and LW. I know a fella on here who had Langlitz put a patch of goatskin inside the cuff so his watches wouldn't damage anything. Not a bad idea.

(Sorry for the blurry pic... only one of the two together)

DSC01181.jpg

Tommer

A

Anonymous

Good God! Those wrist clocks are massive! No problem with a GMT-Master II since all the sides are highly polished and the crown is small.

Stony

I usually wear my WWII Army ORD or A-11 watch when I wear any flight jackets as they are very small in comparison to modern watches.

siddhartha

Administrator
Here's what I'm wearing lately-finally back from Omega, Bienne:

PICT3291.jpg

I love it, it's from 1971, so a bit later than period, but it's a true pilot's watch

Chris

Tommer45

Being such a Magnum fan, I bought the GMT-I bezel insert and put it on my GMT-II. I call it the GMT-1.5

DSC01177.jpg

Tommer