• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big 8th Air Force insignia

Micawber

This came in an 8thAF grouping I bought from a private individual well over 25 years ago. While the other items were clearly tied to the individual this came with no explanation.
Check the size, it's approx 8.75 inches diameter and the reverse shows signs of having been taped and glued in the past....
IMG_20190701_105759727.jpg

Flightengineer

Very cool, Steve. I wonder what it was glued to.

By the way, week ago I’ve been thinking about put such an embroidered 8AF patch of the appropriate size onto my ELC A2's left shoulder, as I saw on some originals in the photos and in the books. WW2 original embroidered AF shoulder patches are still availiable. But so far I have not done it because sometimes it seems to me that insignia painted on the leather would be better then embroidered . Perhaps one day I'll paint it on piece of leather when there is more time ...or will go for embroidered original. Dilemma :)

jack31916

I remember these big 8th USAAF patches showing up in the late 70's / early 80's. You could also get 82nd AB and 101st AB in the same size as well. No idea where they were used for. Maybe PX store items to sew on the back of jacket or...? Makes good display material ;)

Flightengineer

Horrible :)
It looks like t-shirts with huge NASA or Apollo11 logo on the back, which are now sold in stores around the world for the 50th anniversary of the lunar mission.

Wholenineyards

Hi guys, being from Germany I have been lucky to have family in San Diego. I quickly found out about Flight Suits Ltd. in El Cajon... obviously on vacation I have always been drawn there. They have always had a good sized sale section and I remember getting my first “House” G-1 size 44 for about 170 USD on the Sale. I still wear it. But then Flight Suits changed into Gibson and Barnes and they moved a couple of blocks away. I still went and bought some stuff. Among them was that blue WEP. I had no real plans except I wanted to effect a NASA theme (Read the book Failure is not an Option, then came Apollo 13 and the great series From the Earth to the Moon. Being Navy I always loved Grumman aeroplane standards and then the Lunar Lander they made from scratch). Sizes at GB in the meantime went off the board... I mean I have 220 lbs and that jacket is a Medium! Lots of room in the chest but tight on the hips but I am a child of the 70s, so I could care less). In recent years their customer service went downhill so I don’t go there anymore. I think they’re catering to airlines its big orders now primarily, not the single buyer like I am. I still have and wear another great G-1 in 44L and A-2s (Mk 31 and 41 when those things were still 350 to 400 USD), the green WEP jackets from them I like, watch out for odd sizing though).

By the way, that big NASA patch (as well as the others) has been sawn on by San Diego Leather of National City. They opened up the lining so as not to impede with the elastic bands of the action back. Wasn’t too expensive either. The jackets they make are, hm, no... but I love their sewing skill and service. I have a 1970 original L-2B that I had them fix blue knits and cuffs onto (from MASH Jp) and they did a most rad job.

Last edited:
Hello,

I buy the same kind of « big » patch.
Do you think they were made during the WWII ?
40E086F3-B4BD-4804-9DE8-6D9586A67BEA.jpeg

Attachments

• D6C4D0CC-1A44-4D7D-A366-93BDF1BEAFC5.jpeg
    D6C4D0CC-1A44-4D7D-A366-93BDF1BEAFC5.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 18653D86-62CB-467F-A102-5F6708ED8773.jpeg
    18653D86-62CB-467F-A102-5F6708ED8773.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 103
  • 6A52A529-8ABD-4ADA-9190-C4B9BC88734C.jpeg
    6A52A529-8ABD-4ADA-9190-C4B9BC88734C.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 102