• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best paint to use on cloth?

Hawkeye

If I were to decide do do a bit of painting on a cloth jacket, which would be best to use? I was thinking acrylic as its more flexible and wont crack, but i'm concerned it might run if it gets wet. And anything used to seal it would show up on cloth as opposed to leather. So would enamel be the way to go?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
You're welcome ... and if you want to keep the fabric soft, there are additives you can buy at craft stores.

shedonwanna

some brands of acrylics are marketed and designed for fabric. also, you can add a acrylic fabric medium to thin and help acrylic paint stick/absorb to the fabric. test before you commit - some synthetic and treated fabics can have problems with acrylic. silkscreen inks work well on cotton ...

david

deand

"Tulip Soft" brand is terrific. Water based and terrific flexibility. Excellent coverage and mixibility.

dean

shedonwanna

Over time the acrylic will become more brittle and could crack, especially if the leather streches with age. Too much water will make the acrylic less stable - recommend an acrylic extender for thinning when painting on leather. I do thin with water when painting on canvas to get watercolor look but it doesn't paint like watercolor!

Overall, acrylics will not yellow or crack like the oils. So the acrylics live longer but we have to "age" them to get the look we want around here. For me it's not which is best but more knowing how each behaves and using the one that fits the application or desired result.