• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before & After L-2b Blue Anchor

Maverickson

Unfortunately the jacket season here in the Southeastern United States is all but over for anything but light jackets. In keeping with those changing limitations I have turned my attention to improve upon my collection of nylon flight jackets. Recently, I acquired a L-2b that required some refurbishing to bring it back into wearable condition and would like to share this jacket and it's work with the forum.

As it turns out this is my first attempt at doing the work myself. Not to mention, this work would not have occurred without the help of Mark's cuff tutorial found on the forum. Besides being grubby amongst other problems this Blue Anchor jacket seen below exhibited worn out knits and a broken zipper assembly.

L2-bcoming.jpg

True to form I was able to acquire all the necessary associated parts to refurbish the jacket at MASH Co in Japan. Those dark green knits available were used and they seem to be the most reasonable facsimile to the originals. The color difference exhibited between the top and the bottom picture can be directly attributed to a good dry cleaning!

index_001_002-1.jpg

Attaching the new zipper assembly was not as hard as one might think. As a plus the replacement zipper's fabric tape is just slightly wider than the original. So, when attaching this Crown replacement zipper I decided to utilize just what little extra there was available.

index_001_008.jpg

If you notice the zipper flap stud has been removed from the jacket and yet to be replaced. This and the ones attaching the epaulets were removed to facilitate the stitch work.

index_001_004.jpg
index_001_005.jpg

index_001_006.jpg
index_001_007.jpg

index_001_001.jpg

As seen in the pics above the stitching is close but not perfect. With that in mind, after experiencing the work first hand gives one understanding good workmanship & just what kind of effort it really takes to do professional work.

Even though the jacket is still going to be receiving some tweaking, over all I am quite happy with the jacket's results and especially it size. Besides the given shorter body length the overall measurements seem to be more than adequate for a Large sized jacket. This jacket is more than ample for me with 20" shoulders and 25.5" to 26.00" pits which exceeded my expectations.

Cheers, Dave

USMC_GAU-21

Dave,

Truly amazing work and very nice to she still has a long life of solid wear in front of her! I am now very excited to get my Blue anchor up and running. I have ordered the knits and zippers from MASH, and am now in wait mode.

did the dry cleaner do anything special? WOW, what a difference.

Great work my friend, truly a beauty!

r/Gy Dan

Maverickson

Clark J said:
MAN the color really popped!!!!Looks great!

Hi,
Yes, this jacket was extremely grubby. However, obviously after the dry cleaning it came clean. Not to mention, the cleaning also revealed a few thin or abraded spots (silvery areas) to the color coat of the outer shell but still not worn through. I guess that is to be expected with something that old. Following all this attention it looks as though this jacket will be good to go :D .
Cheers, Dave

Willy McCoy

Good call on utilizing the width of the zipper tape. It displays the zipper very well and allows for a little more room for the torso. Blue Anchor is among my favorite contracts. I believe that they were manufactured not too far from my house. I like the shine it has after coming back from the dry cleaners! Good job! What is the sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff?

Maverickson

Willy McCoy said:
What is the sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff?

Hi,
I appreciate all! In close approximate numbers the sleeve length less the cuff is 22.5" and including the cuff is 24.50".
Dave

Peter Graham

Nice work Dave. It looks great. I really like the Blue Anchor L-2B's and I'd never part with mine. Wear it in good health.