• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beck 999-BL Motorcycle Jacket

entertainment

This jacket has a Beck label but was probably made by Schott. Based on information in the Rin Tanaka book on Schott, I would guess that it dates to the late 1960s or early 1970s. Elsewhere on this forum, Ken has argued that Schott did not make jackets for Beck, but as I will argue further down, this jacket almost certainly was.

It seems like this jacket was barely worn. There is no discoloration to the lining. The edges of the leather are worn in places, but I wonder if this might not be insect damage. The first smell was mothballs but that dissipated quickly leaving behind what my daughter called "cigarettes and cologne" which I can't really argue with. It is not unpleasant for me.

The leather is almost certainly steerhide or cowhide and is stiff but flexible like a modern high quality repro. I have no fear that it will crack although I gave it a very thin layer of Pecard Antique Dressing as a precaution.

IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3524.jpg

This is the 1950s to late 1960s (according to Rin Tanaka) checker-flag label which replaced the Northeaster Flying Togs label. I always take these dates with a grain of salt, but this label did change when Beck was sold to Arnley in 1969. I have seen Beck-Arnley labels, but I suspect that the old Beck labels were not replaced right away.

IMG_3525.jpg

The main zipper is an aluminum Talon with a T on the zipper box.

IMG_3528.JPG

The sleeve zippers don't match! One is a SEBA and the other is unmarked. I don't think either was replaced. I think the box of zippers just had a bunch of each and the operator didn't notice or care if they were different.

This photo also shows why I think this is almost certainly by Schott. One reason that Ken said that he did not think that Schott made the Beck jackets is that the quality of the Beck jackets was much higher than the Schott jackets from the same period. One piece of evidence he cited was that Schott used fake leather for the infill between the sleeve zippers. I wish he were correct! But unfortunately this Beck has the same fake leather as can be seen in this photo. I checked lots of other Becks from this era on the internet and they all had the fake leather while earlier ones did not.

IMG_3523.JPG

Last edited:

entertainment

Earlier models have the leather folded over at the laces. You can see the French seams pretty well here. They are used throughout. Schotts usually don't have French seams (maybe never?).
IMG_3522.JPG

Earlier models have French seams here. Unfortunately this detail got cheaped out.
IMG_3527.jpg

The epaulettes are fabric backed.
IMG_3529.JPG

The leather has some defects. Perhaps where the cow backed into a barbed wire fence? (A bit hard to see.)
IMG_3531.JPG

Last edited:

MediumMech

Just picked up a copy of Tanaka's "Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design." Was browsing through and saw a photo of a 999! Made me think of your jacket, very cool that you have such a nice bit of history.

entertainment

Just picked up a copy of Tanaka's "Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design." Was browsing through and saw a photo of a 999! Made me think of your jacket, very cool that you have such a nice bit of history.
I don't have that one yet, though I just picked up the companion volume: "Motorcycle Jackets: Ultimate Biker's Fashions". Plan to buy the "Century" one soon, though.
All Tanaka's books have great photos and printing, especially the My Freedamn series and the Harley Davidson clothing book.