• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beater 7823AER

gruvi

Hi Gents,
I really like the worn and weary goatskin of my 7823. I'm happy to wear it anywhere and due to how beat up it was when I got it, it is easy to not be worried wearing daily and build my own scars into it :)
But there was one area near the bottom on leather that I was concerned would soon tear away and when my friend offered to show me how he can repair it so it will last, I couldn't say no :)
I figure this would be interesting to show a before and after of the repair, so bear with my photos please.

Here is how the jacket looked when advertised in the auction I won it from -

33232.jpg

And here it is yesterday presurgery at my friends place

IMG_20120325_115832.jpg

IMG_20120325_121330.jpg

IMG_20120325_121338.jpg

Midsurgical :)

IMG_20120325_122329.jpg

And immediate post-op

IMG_20120325_145523.jpg

IMG_20120325_145447.jpg

Now it no longer gets snagged when I zip up and it looks better, better than the slider side leather.

I can go back to wearing the snot out of it again and not have worry of this once weak spot he told me :)

Thanks for looking :cool:

gruvi

Marv said:
Looks great, did you have the cuffs refitted at the same time too.
Thanks, I didnt have these cuffs fitted same day. They were done earlier. He did fix my green cuffs that were too long, after fixing this tear.

gruvi

I made some outside photos a moment ago. I don't know why the original sellers picture of it makes it look like a green hue seal, but after owning it for awhile, letting my friend use his leather conditioner, it looks more like a red hued brown to me now...
Anyway I wanted to ask what you think of the repair he made yesterday. And please remember this is my beat around G1 :D

IMG_20120326_095743.jpg

IMG_20120326_095808.jpg

dmar836

Nice. Looks like he backed it with some dark material? Now reinforced, it looks mush more secure.
I like it!
Dave

gruvi

dmar836 said:
Nice. Looks like he backed it with some dark material? Now reinforced, it looks mush more secure.
I like it!
Dave
I really couldn't say how he healed and reinforced it, but he said it will not ever be a problem there at the repair area. I was amazed at the repair from what I know it looked like in person before. Its really like it vanished or was never split or cut in that spot. Feel very fortunate to be friends with the man :)

gruvi

dmar836 said:
I like it!
Dave
Okay I looked at the pic you thought had some backing. Thats actually the iron under it with scrap leather to keep the jackets leather off cold hard steel. He did some trade secret stuff I couldnt follow as his work was fast and frenzied. I get a little tranced watching him work...its weird ;) he has been working with leather and garments for a long time and has a gift for it is all I see :)

Andrew

Nice work Gerard. It looked pretty fragile before but not from those completed shots. Your Man certainly is good and you're lucky he's close by.