• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bates Highwayman Jacket (Terminator 1 leather jacket)

Hi Team,

this is my first post so wanted to say "hello" and "sorry" if there was similar note in the past.

The reason I'm reaching out to you Guys is to ask for some advice so here's the deal:

- I have this sort of dream come true meaning to owe Terminator's leather jacket from the first movie.

I was able to trace it and learn that it was created by Company called Bates Leather - seems like a classy place with history yet also rather small target - custom made request - that kind of stuff.

And I guess that's about it in terms of good news.

Now the bad side:

- as mentioned above it seems that they are only made for request and whilst it is possible to order as per the measures (btw I never seen so detailed request form...) yet I don't feel too comfortable in buying rather expensive stuff sort of blind folded - in ideal scenario I would rather ask Bates Company to measure me live but the "tiny" issue is that I live in Poland and not planning to visit West Coast anytime soon.

-------------

I have this thing in mind - I will be traveling to East Coast (Chicago-Washington-NY) in the Fall this year so I'm wondering:

- do you have any thoughts whether this jacket might be somewhat available somewhere there perhaps ? Maybe some specific leather jacket's store that are worth checking with ? I would even consider buying second handed if any of you would be considering to part with his jacket ;)

I will appreciate any assistance big time

Thanks a ton and best !
Michał

CombatWombat

Hey there Newbie!
As a fellow Polish Sausage I'm happy to see you join our hallowed halls.
I myself have a Bates "cafe racer" jacket and I can say DON'T try to do the measurements yourself, go to a dressmaker/tailor that has a idea of leather garments and get them to measure you up (I don't know where you're from but in Bydgoszcz it's not too difficult to find leatherwear tailors)
Second good tip is to ignore the temptation of perogi and cherry jelly haha!

Capt

Agree with ‘combat’ get yourself measured up especially if you intend to use it on a motorbike and for that price. The front waist can fowl on the thighs if it’s too long and rides up giving you a set of breasts, not cool. Vanson do a similar design but that Bates version looks fabulous.

CombatWombat

Agree with ‘combat’ get yourself measured up especially if you intend to use it on a motorbike and for that price. The front waist can fowl on the thighs if it’s too long and rides up giving you a set of breasts, not cool. Vanson do a similar design but that Bates version looks fabulous.
Exactly!
If you plan on wearing this on a motorcycle you need it to fit right......which depends on if you ride a Japanese street bike (you lean into it so the front needs to be shorter than you expected and the back longer with padding) or a more "upright" bike like a BSA or Indian, where you don't need the backlength because you're sitting up more than leaning forward
If it's more a fashion statement then the length is still important but you can get away with it being a little too long in the torso.
Another thing to think about us that Bates are designed for riding.....so the sleeve length will be about 5CM longer than usual (to cover the wrist while your arms are stretched out gripping the handlebars)
I'm sure they could size it perfectly for you if you're not going to use it for riding but it's best to ask about that

Juanito

Unless it has to absolutely be a Bates Highwayman, you might try Vanson if you are concerned about fit and going to be on the East Cost. Vanson makes a number of nearly identical jackets, and the C2 might be exactly what you need for about half the price.

Boston is only about 4.5 hours away from NYC and you could just run up there in your travels.

Hi All,

thanks for your feedback.

I had a chance to touch base with Bates and it seems that there is tremendous ETA at Bates - approx 6 months + before your order can start...

You first need to pay an entrance fee of 200 or so USD to first of all enter the waiting line - after that once your turn is on Bates is reaching out to you re measurements - which seems somewhat logic so they are up to date with your current size however they said that they are organising the measurement session via on-line...tbf I don't have details how would that suppose to work but considering how specific process is that in the first place to even do that live or by some professional I consider this on-line measuring a bit of tongue in cheek...

Dunno if this is possible to pay them a visit directly and then be measured ? Different story I'd say...adding 1+1 it seems that there are way too many "if's" within that purchase and nearly 2 grand is what I consider a lot for a jacket...

On the other side this Vanson C2 seems an interesting proposal.

And whilst I won't make it to go to Boston this time but I have reached out to them guys as I saw they have some re-sellers in Chicago, NY and even in Europe so maybe there is an opportunity to see that model somewhere else ?

The price is also very intriguing - no question about that :)

One thing I do wonder about:

- I already have Schott Perfecto 613SH jacket and just thinking out loud whether this won't be nearly mirror look style comparing the two of them ?

DSC_99181.jpg

Right now I would be eager to get something less stiff as 613SH is stiff like sonofagun ;)

Thoughts ? ;)

CombatWombat

Newbie how close are you to the sauerkraut eating neighbours?
There is (or was?) A place in Dresden called "gasoline pony" that is (or was) a dealer for Vanson.
It would be "local" for you and may have "European Edition" jackets you might not see in North America (very much like how other jacket makers and boot makers release "Japanese market only" items

*I say "was" because after the virus named after a popular beer that it might not be in business anymore*

Newbie how close are you to the sauerkraut eating neighbours?
There is (or was?) A place in Dresden called "gasoline pony" that is (or was) a dealer for Vanson.
It would be "local" for you and may have "European Edition" jackets you might not see in North America (very much like how other jacket makers and boot makers release "Japanese market only" items

*I say "was" because after the virus named after a popular beer that it might not be in business anymore*
Warsaw so pretty far I'd say...funny enough they didn't replied so far meaning Vanson so I think I will just call it quits there and next year maybe travel to West Coast and cover Bates ;)

CombatWombat

Warsaw so pretty far I'd say...funny enough they didn't replied so far meaning Vanson so I think I will just call it quits there and next year maybe travel to West Coast and cover Bates ;)
Well if you're thinking about the West Coast......I'd also look into Cal Leathers.
They make some fantastic looking motorcycle jackets and have one that is similar to the "silver goo" Terminator from T2 Judgement Day