• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barbour International advice

striperhound

Hi. Looking at a Barbour International as a non-leather utility jacket alternative. Opinions? Stylish off a bike, or just grim? I like the supposed "British submarine uniform" pedigree... Thanks, Dan

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I like the look, and years ago got as far as trying them all on at Selfridges ... but they never felt quite dry. I worried about transfer to other clothing, and that the van would smell like oilskin.

These days I'm just as happy in a LL Bean Field Coat.

havocpaul

Barbour do offer a range of different material/finish on the International. I've also been toying with getting one for some time now; they look stylish and very practical and of course have good pedigree including Steve McQueen wearing them in his bike racing days (and not Belstaff despite what that company might try and tell you!). I saw a guy wearing one that clearly had been well worn and it looked great.

Rufus

I have an old A7, and it's very useful, practical jacket. They are lightweight, keep you dry on the road, and actually look rather good casually.. people do comment on the jacket.

Beware of wearing light coloured shirts though, as you'll end up with oil transfer, particularily on the collar. :lol:

I'm a standard size size 38, and bought an old A7 size 36, which fits fine with a jumper.