• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-4 Bag

L42A1

Does anyone know where I can get a functional B-4 bag? I see there are modern versions out there, but they are in cam material. I would prefer a green bag. Alternatively, I would also be interested in a vintage B-4, but they seem just as hard to find.
Thanks
Ed

A

Anonymous

Hi Ed,
The ones made during the Vietnam war are in a rubberized canvas material. I have the smaller one of the crew bags. They're not bad and are usually pretty cheap. WW2 ones are around but are usually very worn on the outside and sellers often have lots of photos of the 'immaculate' interior (and why wouldn't it be?) but the handles and leather edging are usually pertty knackered.

Dave

unclegrumpy

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Hi Ed,
The ones made during the Vietnam war are in a rubberized canvas material. .

Dave

Actually, the late 1960's through at least the 1980's USN parachute/kit bags are rubberized inside, but the USAF bags from the same period are not. The Navy bags are dark green and the Air Force ones are gray green. A full retail price for either type is about $25.

The WW II and Korean War era bags are out there, and range in price from $40 to over $100 for an early war example in good shape.

zoomer

Don't confuse the kit bags with the B-4s, which were fold-overs, like today's garment bags.
1c4211fa0.jpg
Kit bag
B4_Bag_a.jpg
B-4

L42A1

Yes, I have seen the rubber-like material of the later bags, but I'd like to know where to get them! I have seen random photos of modern cordura versions of the B-4 in green and blue and they are easily available in the present day US cam pattern, but it's the green or blue that I'm after. The modern versions seem like they can pack a lot more kit than the old 'two suiter'.

L42A1

Hello Dave,
Tossing up whether I get a collectable or not, but I still need a good, functional and clean for actual use. Not sure I want to be using a vintage collectable with (typically) tears/repairs, aged leather handles etc.

Yes, nice gat. I have used them on the range.

unclegrumpy

zoomer said:
Don't confuse the kit bags with the B-4s, which were fold-overs, like today's garment bags.
1c4211fa0.jpg
Kit bag
B4_Bag_a.jpg
B-4

You are right, I was having a brain fart!

I didn't think anybody cared about the suitcase style bags...except for the painted ones. The B-4's are out there, and cheap, though finding super clean ones is tough....most I see are musty and probably too funky to actually use. The later impregnated ones often have a rather special aged rubber smell to them as well.

A

Anonymous

At least with the rubberized ones you can dunk 'em in the bath with some washing powder to clean them up. But I wouldn't try that with a canvas and leather one !

Dave