• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-29 TAIL GUNNER RAY MONTGOMERY

Grant

Sad to report the passing of B-29 tail gunner Ray Montgomery who was stationed on Guam during the war. When the war was over, Ray and his crew dropped food and supplies to prisoners of war in Japan. Last year I had the honor of flying with 94 year old Ray in B-29 Fifi which was his first time back in a B-29 since the war. The flight was expensive but the experience was priceless.

B292.jpg
B293.jpg
B291.jpg

ausreenactor

He would have been 'geared up' and with his buddies in his mind.... After all those years it would have been like only yesterday.

Smithy

I remember you posting that photo with him last year Grant and loving his smile when you posted it.

He'll be still smiling now, catching up with some mates he hasn't seen for awhile ;-)

Grant

BTW, when the organization that keeps FIFI flying (Commemorative Air Force) heard Ray's history with the B-29, they insisted on flying him, his son and grandson for free. They all flew together with us. Pretty cool organization given the expense of keeping a B-29 flying.

Rory Schultz

Sad to report the passing of B-29 tail gunner Ray Montgomery who was stationed on Guam during the war. When the war was over, Ray and his crew dropped food and supplies to prisoners of war in Japan. Last year I had the honor of flying with 94 year old Ray in B-29 Fifi which was his first time back in a B-29 since the war. The flight was expensive but the experience was priceless.

View attachment 45730View attachment 45731View attachment 45732
Last of the Great Noble Warriors, my daughter and I met him at the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth about 5 or so years ago. It was after the restoration and it was brought here to the museum for the shows. He gave my daughter the hat he wore during the restoration of FiFi. He told her to never wash it because it had the original oil dripped all over it, but she went yuck when he further mentioned including many hours of his sweat too! I have a ton of photos from that day and have some with them both sitting in a jeep and playing with the .50 cal and he was telling war stories to people sitting all around.
20201102_001100 (1).jpg 20190616_115034.jpgHere is the darker side...lol
Jesh, it is getting harder and harder to believe that in just a couple more years they will all be gone. I stressed to her to remember him. She still has his hat sitting on her nightstand.

Last edited: