• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15 Quilted lining?

a2jacketpatches

Talking with a WW2 vet at the PO yesterday because I noticed an original ATC patch and AAF HQ Shoulder roundel on his B-15 jacket. He said "OH Yeah, it's original. I was issued this, an A2, one of those sheepskin jackets, and a windbreaker like the one I was wearing" ( my repop M41 ) Said he still had them all because they were issued just before he became an OSI agent and they wore civies. Everything looked legit until he took off the jacket revealing the quilted lining. Last year after finding an original B15 with alpaca lining, I did a lot of research finding out the quilted linings were bogus. Any chance they're not? Would hate to think the old timer is bullchitting me. It had a good looking spec label.

Roughwear

It would be a post War copy as the Government spec for B-15s did not include a quilted lining. I would be interested in knowing what was on the label.

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
It would be a post War copy as the Government spec for B-15s did not include a quilted lining. I would be interested in knowing what was on the label.

Well I'll just buy the story because he's gonna introduce me to the USMC league here in town. I did ask to photo his jackets so we'll see, and I'll post when that happens.
Thanks for verifying my thoughts on this jacket.

TankBuster

Andrew is right, no quilted linings on original issued jackets. There is the possibility he had it lined post war? More than likely though it is a post war civilian jacket.

Rutger

Memory can play nasty tricks, I suppose more especially so if you're talking to a 80 year old fella whose memories may have somewhat become obscured about something that happened 60 years ago.

a2jacketpatches

How true, I know people in their 50's that can't remember what they said yesterday, how much they said, or who they said it to, you can see the confusion as the wheels in their head turn for a few seconds. Not even enough sense to put foot in mouth once in a while. But this guy is sharp as a tack at his age and I really think he knows what he's saying. But on the other hand, he served his country for sure and that's good enough for me if he's stretching the truth a bit. I'm just hopeful to see his stash and take some photos. Already made him a complimentary leather ATC to grease him up a bit.

Peter Graham

The guy probably had it re-lined after the war. Original B-15's are very easy to tell apart from the civilian copies. A photo will solve it all. The only WW2 flight jacket that I can think of with a quilted lining is the B-9.

a2jacketpatches

Maybe, but the exterior of the jacket is mint, knits are mint, and it looks like it just came of the shelf. He said it's in such good condition because it wasn't worn much, he wore civilian clothes as an OSI agent. I'll see him soon and get photos of all details and his other jackets. This wouldn't be the first time a vet has inflated the truth a bit to me.