• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-11 parka?

zoomer

I think I want one of these - not the earlier B-9 with the down quilting, but the alpaca lined B-11 introduced in 1944.
How common are they in decent shape in, say, size 44? What sort of money would they bring?
4161526699_cbd72e5c14_o.jpg

Swing

These are cut big, to go over a B-10, so you shouldn't need your normal size. I'm guessing you'd probably have no problem wearing a size 40, and it would probably be a lot easier to find.

~Swing

TankBuster

Some are cut big, but make sure to get measurements. I saw a real nice sz 40, but after getting meaurements, it was way to small. I have been looking for a nice Sz 40-42 B-11 for a couple years. The real nice ones sell for $300+.

zoomer

Swing said:
These are cut big, to go over a B-10, so you shouldn't need your normal size. I'm guessing you'd probably have no problem wearing a size 40, and it would probably be a lot easier to find.

~Swing
Hope you're right, but over a B-10?? That's a lotta alpaca! How did they move around in the air?

Just for laughs, have any pictures of it being worn that way?

Does this explain why my A-10 trouser is marked 38 and actually fits like a 38?
(Most flight trou were labeled like a suit: 38 meant they went with a 38 jacket and were in fact 32-33" waist.)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
Hope you're right, but over a B-10?? That's a lotta alpaca! How did they move around in the air?

Combat Flying Clothing has a photo of the B-11, and A-10 trousers being worn with a shirt, and tie ... and a companion photo showing the combination over a B-10, and A-9 trousers, complete with helmet, goggles, and mukluks.

Peter Graham

I've owned examples of both the B-9 and B-11. I still own a B-9. They fit big but not hugely so. Both mine were 38's and fitted like 40's. I actually prefer the B-9 with the quilted lining. It's much nicer to wear and is a more flattering fit. The B-11 fits a bit like a sack. I also prefer the knit cuffs of the B-9. If you're buying a B-11 make sure to get a photo of the sleeve ends. Most are badly frayed unless you get a real good one. There was a mint example on ebay last year still in it's brown paper package. It sold for about $300 if I remember correctly. Wish I had bought it.

Swing

zoomer said:
Just for laughs, have any pictures of it being worn that way?

Does this explain why my A-10 trouser is marked 38 and actually fits like a 38?
(Most flight trou were labeled like a suit: 38 meant they went with a 38 jacket and were in fact 32-33" waist.)

Yes, that's why A-10s are so big.

b-11.jpg

zoomer

Uh uh...big dark stains on the butt. I don't mind a bit of fraying or mending, but an army parka with stains or dinge just says, "I sleep in a cardboard box."

TankBuster

I agree. I want a nice clean one, with maybe a little wear to the end of the cuffs. There's a fair amount of them that come up for sale, so a guy can afford to be a little picky.