• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avirex B3 experts questions

Ecklypse

Hi there, I am looking for an Avirex vintage B3.
However I can see in details that hips straps seems differents depending on jacket. Some seems to go front whereas seems to go backward. So does anyone has information on this difference in terms of fabrication date or potentially real versus fake?
In the first and second photo the strap goes backwards while on the third it goes forward. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59

Ecklypse

Ok thank you. Could it still be an avirex version or if so then that is a kind of copy/replica? I am asking since the photo shows avirex in but I guess this can be copied too.

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57

Chandler

I'm guessing this is another question concerning "counterfeit" Avirex jackets?

I don't think any of us here have a big enough interest in Avirex-Cockpit to be expert enough to single out "authentic" from "counterfeit."

Avirex-Cockpit jackets don't carry a level of authenticity that most of us here look for.

FWIW -- that "B-3" looks very much like my Avirex B-3 purchased in 1990. Only difference being mine has a numerical size tag, not small, medium, or large. But yeah, the waist tabs on mine face forward, as did the original jacket it mimics.

Micawber

Presumably copies of these garments are being made somewhere on the globe and being marked and marketed as being from that manufacturer, there must be considering the number of queries posted about them by new members. Perhaps one of the new members will enlighten us? @Ecklypse

Dumpster D

First it's not a B-3.

It says B-3 on the tag. It's just that it's not an 'authentic' and original B-3.

It's my own presumption that these Style Jackets started appearing once original Jackets were harder to obtain second hand 40 years after WWII. There was a demand still for sheepskin Jackets, used for flying vintage 'open cockpit' planes during the 70's, 80's and 90's.

That's just my 2 cents.

It looks legit, however...someone please show me a 'counterfeit' or 'Fake' Avirex Jacket.

I keep hearing about them here recently, but I've yet to see one. Used to have one of these Avirex Jackets, it was dated about 1986. It was pretty comfy warm.

Ecklypse

Hello to all, I got more details. First I can say now, this jacket is a legit Avirex. A professional told me that Avirex had issues couples of versions. To start with men’s jacket have the size with numbers whereas for ladies it uses letters. Also for ladies straps goes backward. Have all a good day.

flyincowboy

To me and some friends the jacket is a mix of the D1 /IRVIN/B3 with side entry pocket made post war.Most of the time called B3 because of the BULKY look when worn . Definitely a civilian jacket and different pattern The addition of hand warmer pocket made this sheepskin jacket quite comfortable warm and good looking . The man-made old jacket can easily be mistaken for a veteran jacket purchased from a military surplus.

picture of an original B3

b3 restoration1.jpeg

Last edited: