• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Made 1943 Irvin

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
Still, worth finding for the interesting snaps added to the windflaps of both jacket and trousers ....

No sniggering .... we fix anything with snaps, and pieces of wire, it's traditional.

The Irvin trousers I saw were The Sheepskin Glove Co. Wanganui 1944, but, of course Google can't find it. I have a WW11 leather jerkin made in the same area .... The Manawatu Canvas Co. 1942.

Andrew

Hey, until recently that's the way it's done here too!

If you can't find anything on it then what hope have we? :)

Speaking about all of these old WWII era manufacturers, we can't live in the past but it's a bit sad when there's just no evidence other than a few faded labels that almost all these businesses existed. I still hold hope that old company records including patterns and specifications for all our favourite jackets or similar exist in National Archives. The early Irvin improvement patent being one such document.

Roughwear

I have had further communication with the seller. I explained that on several forums collectors do not believe his jacket is from 1943. I cited a lot of evidence including that the label is an Australian army label, not an RAAF label. RAAF contract items were proofed A(arrow)F, and not D(arrow)D. His response was predictable and avoided the issue of authenticity. He has now joined the RAF forum-http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/ advertising his own website!

As with most forums they have to talk about something and pick somebodys gear to bits...Guess its jealiousy or they have nothing better to do.We never bother to look at any and certainy take not the slightest notice.Rather like a W.I. meeting we say.There are plently of watchers and its not exactly a fortune for an original Vintage jacket...although probaly is to most forum members.We are soon to launch our own Auction site similar to Ebay but much cheaper and no restrictions like Ebay,swastikas and bayonets etc,etc,We will also have our own Forum which will prove interesting..Have they seen the Lancaster Gee unit we have listed at £200?...A minty one and on an aviation website at £950...but I guess they will say it has a new reference plate and is postwar??.End of story no time or patience.To busy dealing with serious business....Not judged on yourself but if you listen to forums????

Andrew is right in his judgement of the guy.

Roughwear

yet more from this guy.

Hello....Apologies to yourself...but I do not like forums discussing my items as to the rights and wrongs as I note they never discuss a "nice" piece.....I am retired and have been collecting Aviation related material since I was at School.I have had many hundreds of Flying Jackets through my hands and put a book together with Jim Weld on flying gear in the early 1980's..As with luftwaffe jackets there are many variations both private purchase and otherwise.As my description says this appears to be a cross between a B3 and an Irvin.This is exactly how I purchased the Jacket together with the RAAF badge.A group of WW2 Australian Veterans were here a couple of years ago for a reunion at Binbrook ..7 miles from myself and this Jacket was worn in some of the photos and purchased from one of them by myself.I have no reason to doubt it at all and if others want to then its up to them.That is all I can tell you other than if it had been a single seam IRVIN it would have been £475.00,and not £175,You cant buy a copy for that and this is certainly not a copy.I have had Canadian and Australian Jackets with one,two and no pockets..There were many others than the Govt issue as you must know.If I buy a Jacket from a VETERAN I take it as being original.The Quality of this is also excellent.. I am sure you can see my point with peoples views and opinions on a Vet item.This is the first time anybody has "questioned" the jacket also,indeed I have had Australians get back with interest!Please post this on the forumn if you wish....With Regards.

He clearly thinks of himself as quite an expert. ;)

Jason

Just to add a little spice into the mix: The Aus Army used W (arrow) D as well to mark some of its items of the period. I wonder if the generic markings DD and WD could have applied across all three Aussie services at the time?

Roughwear

It sold for £310, which is the going rate for an ALC Irvin. It would seem as if the big boys recognised this jacket for what it is-a post war garment and decided not to bid.