• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF's Shipping Through the Bloody Roof!

Smithy

I've bought a lot of stuff from ATF over the years because the quality is top-notch and the customer service always first rate.

As a result I trundle around on the ATF site fairly regularly and today saw that they had a special on German WWII toque/scarves. I'd held off because truth be told the colour of the ATF ones is off, they are too dark and green, the originals are a medium grey (funnily enough feldgrau).

But at only $9 I thought what the hell, I'll buy one for work. So I went to the checkout and the shipping was $41????!!!! So over 4 times the shipping for something which weighs less than 100gms.

Heads up people,

If you want a good repro of a German Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS issued toque get one from Soldier of Fortune. The colour is the correct lighter version and not the overly dark colour seen usually on a lot of repros and shipping won't break the bank.

Here's an original...

20201217_122603.jpg

Here's the SoF one...

german_toque_head_scarf_100322_2.jpg

dinomartino1

Their shipping has always been expensive just more so now, it has stopped a lot of us here outside of the US buying from him.
Like you SOF UK is were I mainly buy from now and the shipping seems to be just what royal mail charges without any extra added on and the customer service is good if you have questions about an item.

Last edited:

Enigma1938

I've bought a lot of stuff from ATF over the years because the quality is top-notch and the customer service always first rate.

As a result I trundle around on the ATF site fairly regularly and today saw that they had a special on German WWII toque/scarves. I'd held off because truth be told the colour of the ATF ones is off, they are too dark and green, the originals are a medium grey (funnily enough feldgrau).

But at only $9 I thought what the hell, I'll buy one for work. So I went to the checkout and the shipping was $41????!!!! So over 4 times the shipping for something which weighs less than 100gms.

Heads up people,

If you want a good repro of a German Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS issued toque get one from Soldier of Fortune. The colour is the correct lighter version and not the overly dark colour seen usually on a lot of repros and shipping won't break the bank.

Here's an original...

20201217_122603.jpg

Here's the SoF one...

german_toque_head_scarf_100322_2.jpg
Don't forget the addition of possible custom fees, makes it even more expensive.
Those custom fees from UK imports are also pretty high now when ordering from the EU - prevents me from ordering at SOF. It was so nice before the brexit...:confused:

Smithy

The last thing I bought from ATF was a parka back in 2019 and whilst the shipping was hefty it was not outrageous.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the shipping for that toque. I know shipping rates have increased but what ATF is asking for that toque is not just ridiculous but actually plain, old highway robbery.

Their shipping has always been expensive just more so now, it has stopped a lot of us here outside of the US buying from him.
Like you SOF UK is were I mainly buy from now and the shipping seems to be just what royal mail charges without any extra added on and the customer service is good if you have questions about an item.

A few years back I ordered a helmet from SoF and they sent me the wrong one. When I contacted them they told me the correct one was on its way and that I could just keep the incorrect one free of charge.

Now that's customer service!

Smithy

Bit of a follow-up...got the toque today from SoF and it's terrific. Colour and knit pattern/size is spot on to originals. Probably not much point making a separate review thread for a German WWII toque as it's probably not of great interest and it's also a pretty basic item.

But I'll just put it out there that if you're after a wartime German toque repro then I'd recommend the SoF offering without hesitation.

Anyone needs pics just shout.

JonnyCrow

Bit of a follow-up...got the toque today from SoF and it's terrific. Colour and knit pattern/size is spot on to originals. Probably not much point making a separate review thread for a German WWII toque as it's probably not of great interest and it's also a pretty basic item.

But I'll just put it out there that if you're after a wartime German toque repro then I'd recommend the SoF offering without hesitation.

Anyone needs pics just shout.
I like Soldier of Fortune Smithy, I order a lot from there to Madrid, they even had the Cork and correct spray paint when I was restoring my schlueter m1 helmet

Smithy

I like Soldier of Fortune Smithy, I order a lot from there to Madrid, they even had the Cork and correct spray paint when I was restoring my schlueter m1 helmet

I've ordered dozens of things from SoF over the years. They are easily my favourite vendor by a long chalk.

Smithy

Sorry if this has come through as a thumbnail but my Internet connection is down on my computer so had to fumble through this with my mobile.

Apologies in advance.