• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astronaut Chaffee and Cernan in L-2b and patched MA-1

oose

Hi all,
Couple of nice shots of Astronauts in USAF Nylon, These were taken in Iceland September 1965.
I like the look of USN wool hat/L-2b and USN gloves.

Can anyone ID the patch on the MA-1 in the second and third photos?

All the best
stu

Atticus

Patch looks to be drawn from a wolf-like Disney character...almost like Goofy, but not quite. Could it be something left over from WWII?

I also like the middle guy's WEP. Do we know who he is and if he's Navy? Wouldn't be Scott Carpenter, would it?

M__Scott_Carpenter.jpg

AF

oose

Thanks Jim,
I could not find it on USAF patches, I now got a bigger pic. Thanks for the help.

All the best
stu

Rutger

A familiar wolfhound patch indeed.

Being Dutch, I can not resist adding that the 32nd Fighter Squadron was based at Soesterberg in the Netherlands for forty years from november '54 (initially as the 512th FDS) until the autumn of '94. They operated the F-86, F-100, F-102, F-4 and F-15.

They were an outstanding unit and it was great to see their F-15s practice day and night air combat over our village when I was still a teenager.

Very nice to see such an unexpected appearance in a forum on old jackets, thanks for those pictures!

Hamsterbear

One thing I noticed about those "ancient" photos is how primitive the field gear is that they are using- the Brunton compass in a leather pouch on the belt, a huge tape recorder with a shoulder strap that probably weighed a ton with a dozen "D" batteries in it, military jackets and caps/gloves, regular denim jeans, standard issue Corcoran jump boots, an old 35mm film camera......
This looks like field training for eventual moon surface exploration.
Contrast this to all the "modern" equipment we have today- Gortex fabric, high-tech waterproof footwear, digital cameras, handheld GPS, a "phone" that is essentially a small pocket computer/camera/recorder/GPS and more.....
Most having been invented out of the very space race they were training for in the mid 1960's.

Monsoon

Hamsterbear said:
One thing I noticed about those "ancient" photos is how primitive the field gear is that they are using- the Brunton compass in a leather pouch on the belt, a huge tape recorder with a shoulder strap that probably weighed a ton with a dozen "D" batteries in it, military jackets and caps/gloves, regular denim jeans, standard issue Corcoran jump boots, an old 35mm film camera.......

I don't think anyone is wearing jumpboots. Dude with the Wolfhound patch is wearing standard combat boots with laced in zips. (I wonder if the round things in his flight jacket pockets are dip?) The other guy looks to be wearing boondockers.

unclegrumpy

I agree, I don't think those are Army "jump" boots, but rather the Air Force version. I don't think those are "boondockers" either, since those would be roughouts. What they look like to me is a pair of Redwings I had in the 1970's.

dav3469

Not sure about the make, but I believe Naval Aviators are known for their "brown shoes" vs their "black shoe" ship driving bretheren.

Monsoon

unclegrumpy said:
I agree, I don't think those are Army "jump" boots, but rather the Air Force version. I don't think those are "boondockers" either, since those would be roughouts. What they look like to me is a pair of Redwings I had in the 1970's.

Navy would wear Marine boondockers. Roughouts would be Army/Army Air Force.

Boondockers and roughouts look very simliar, except that boondockers would have more of a pointed tow.

Monsoon

dav3469 said:
Not sure about the make, but I believe Naval Aviators are known for their "brown shoes" vs their "black shoe" ship driving bretheren.

Yep, they still are. Check out the Belleville Boot Company website. The Navy flight boots are dark brown.

watchmanjimg

unclegrumpy said:

I agree that David Scott is wearing Air Force-issue flight boots with laced-in zippers. The seam running more or less parallel to the sole is a giveaway. As the dress code for this particular exercise was clearly informal, it appears the guys just took along whatever practical gear they had lying around from their former military assignments (another example being Scott's 32nd TFS-patched flight jacket).

As to Cernan's boots, my first thought was that they were USN-issued but I suppose they could be Red Wings. The boots worn by the stout gentleman in the blue NASA windbreaker are more obviously of civilian origin.

unclegrumpy

Monsoon said:
Navy would wear Marine boondockers. Roughouts would be Army/Army Air Force.

Boondockers and roughouts look very simliar, except that boondockers would have more of a pointed tow.
Technically, the Army shoes your are referring to were known as "service shoes". They were nicknamed "roughouts" because the rough side of the leather was on the outside.....just like the version the Navy and Marines wore....which the Marines called "field shoes", but they are more commonly known by the nickname "boondockers"....because that is where you were destined to go if you had those on your feet.

Monsoon

unclegrumpy said:
Technically, the Army shoes your are referring to were known as "service shoes". They were nicknamed "roughouts" because the rough side of the leather was on the outside.....just like the version the Navy and Marines wore....which the Marines called "field shoes", but they are more commonly known by the nickname "boondockers"....because that is where you were destined to go if you had those on your feet.

I thought that's what I was saying.

Army = Service shoe, reverse upper (roughouts)

Marines = Shoe, Field (boondockers)

unclegrumpy

What is more historically interesting, but can be somewhat confusing today, is both services used both nicknames interchangeably....especially the term "roughouts". That's because both the Army and Marines early in the war and before had similar ankle height footwear with the smooth side out, which the Marines called "dress shoes" and the Army "service shoes".

The term "roughouts" for both services dates back to WW I and probably well before. The term "boondocks" is Americanized slang that came from butchering a Philippino word for the outback that the troops picked up during the Spanish American War/Philippine Insurrection. The Army was by far the biggest provider of manpower, and was fighting in the Philippine's far longer....right up to 1913....so it is interesting that the Marine footwear ended up to more commonly known as "boondockers". Maybe one of you guys know why.

herk115

sealbeachbum said:
I also like the middle guy's WEP. Do we know who he is and if he's Navy? Wouldn't be Scott Carpenter, would it?
Geoff, I'm pretty sure that's Gene Sernan, the last man to walk on the moon, and yes he was Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Cernan

And just so I can be a showoff, the guy in the third photo background without a hat is astronaut Rusty Schweickart. Civilian, ex-USAF, ex-ANG when the photo was taken.