• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army Nomex helicopter jackets--rare early variants!

watchmanjimg

We've had several interesting discussions regarding these handy and inexpensive jackets, but I've recently added two relatively uncommon early examples to my collection and thought I'd share:

First up is a very early lightweight jacket dating from the latter part of the Vietnam conflict, apparently 1972 per the contract number. The "Model B" designation begs the question of what the "Model A" looked like, and I've seen a 1969-dated example that followed a more conventional pattern with typical knit cuffs and waistband as opposed to the Velcro adjustment tabs shown here. I assume the Army was at first undecided as to which pattern to adopt, but of course by the 1974 contracts this issue was resolved in favor of the type using standard knits. Interestingly, this jacket's main zipper is "sandwiched" between dual flaps (as an aside, both zips were made by General). The exterior flap is secured by Velcro. It would appear that this arrangement was thought to offer more protection against heat entry in case of fire, but was ultimately deemed unnecessary as the feature does not appear in later standardized jackets (although the cold-weather type has an inner storm flap). Sadly this jacket is too large for me, but at least until I find a smaller replacement it will remain in my collection as a representative example:

EarlyNomex001.jpg
EarlyNomex002.jpg
EarlyNomex003.jpg
EarlyNomex004.jpg
EarlyNomex005.jpg
EarlyNomex007.jpg

I don't actually own this '76 cold-weather example, but I included the pic to illustrate the lack of pocket flaps:

EarlyCWNomex.jpg

Finally, here's a near-mint '77 cold-weather jacket made by Greenbrier. As both labels indicate, it's expressly marked as a flyer's jacket. Unlike the '76 depicted above, this one has pocket flaps. It lacks the Velcro strip seen at the upper back of cold-weather jackets produced from 1980 on:

EarlyNomex008.jpg
EarlyNomex009.jpg
EarlyNomex010.jpg
EarlyNomex011.jpg

Rutger

Interesting, I wondered already if the flight jacket with expandable wrists and waist did have a predecessor.
So it appears, and yes, how about model A (did it exist as such, or maybe better even: like B-15 B15A B15B etc?).
Did you find the model B on ebay?
Can't read the washing tag, does it mention nomex or aramid?

FtrPlt

Cool jackets!!

I'm pretty sure the first one shown is the original design that went with the VN-era two-piece flying shirt/trousers.

I was looking through some of my old photos from the 80s. None showing that particular jacket but several clearly showing the jackets without the pocket flaps.

Great finds! With the Army essentially no longer having flight jackets, the old green nomex ones will very quickly become scarce as the remaining surplus stocks are sold off.

watchmanjimg

FtrPlt said:
Cool jackets!!

I'm pretty sure the first one shown is the original design that went with the VN-era two-piece flying shirt/trousers.

I was looking through some of my old photos from the 80s. None showing that particular jacket but several clearly showing the jackets without the pocket flaps.

Great finds! With the Army essentially no longer having flight jackets, the old green nomex ones will very quickly become scarce as the remaining surplus stocks are sold off.

Thanks for your kind words. I've loved these jackets for nearly 25 years and have a fair number in my collection. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there may have been an earlier version with knit waistband and cuffs produced pursuant to a 1969 contract. I haven't acquired one yet, but I'm looking.
;)

deand

Those early ones are indeed interesting. Have to keep my eyes open for a chance at one.

dean