• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone own a Suunto Watch?

Stony

I've been checking them out, but was wondering if any members had one that they could give a review on.

ButteMT61

I had one and it was very good for outdoors stuff - hiking, camping, etc.

This is the one I had.

Sold off my non-dress watches about a year ago to fund other things, but this was one of my set it and forget it watches. Looks cool too.

Stony

I was trying to find the size specs on the site to see how big the dial face was, but didn't see anything. About how big is the face?

Thanks!

ButteMT61

Stony said:
I was trying to find the size specs on the site to see how big the dial face was, but didn't see anything. About how big is the face?

Thanks!

49.3mm. If you're small, it might not appeal to you, but I love a bigger watch.

Monsoon

I never had one, but I know some guys were issued them, or bought them on their own.

They said they were the most expensive cheap watches they ever had. That backed me off buying one.

I've had G-shocks for the past 15 years, and now have a Pathfinder I was issued. I've loved them all.

SuinBruin

I've had a Pathfinder for a few years and really like it... it's my camping/fishing/outdoors watch.

Otter

I own a Suunto Core, great watch if you need the altimeter or barometer function. I bought the all black version, the plastic strap that comes with it is a bit sucky, plastic and sweaty, just generaly uncomfortable. I replaced it with a Maratc Zulu from a nice gentleman in California off eBay and it was with me in about 4 days, never looked back since. It is quite a big turnip of a watch though and it can get hung up on the knits of your jacket, no sharp edges, gust some beeping as you trigger the buttons. :lol:

BTW Mrs Otter HATED the storm alarm function, it always went off in the middle of the night, I now usualy disable it. :roll:

I was checking out Suuntos and Pathfinders for hiking/hunting/camping (mainly the altimeter and barometer functions, as I live in Colorado) and stumbled upon a little wrist-mounted GPS by Garmin called the Foretrex 401 for about the same price. Not a watch, per se, but gives atomic time! Great little gadget for sportsmen. Others tout its urban applications. Not a substitute for a watch--you wear it over a jacket sleeve, not underneath. But if you're looking for a real outdoor aid, this thing can't be beat. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foretrex-401-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B002EOSQII

stubbyeighth

Tariacuri

I have a Suunto core - the black military version with a replaced bright orange Zulu band. Using the Zulu means that you can wash the band (stick mine in the pocket of a shirt when washing), treat the band for chiggers and stuff as well. I also tend to have a bad reaction to the rubber/plastic/leather bands after a couple of days. Suunto has replaced the watch twice now - all covered by warranty. But . . . of course I'm probably not a typical user so that should not scare anyone off. For the average user they are very sturdy.

It's huge making it easier to use but I could see how that might turn some off. The altimeter is accurate as per the watch specs (if you follow the directions) and you have the means to calibrate every once and a while. The storm alarm is sensitive and works - again - follow the directions. Navigation features are great and I love the compass and bearing functions - use them probably most of all. Never really use any of the log functions. If I snagged one again I would get the non-military version as the dial is easier to read. The all silver ones with a metal band are nice but expensive - especially for a field watch.

The GPS model has a great reputation but not useful for me as they are not accurate enough (I typically need sub-meter). At the same time I was looking at the core I examined the G-shocks - also great reputation but found the buttons hard to use - but that's just me. You can also replace the G-shock band with a Zulu.