• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody familiar with this A-1 repro?

Dr H

Has anybody seen/purchased one of the A-1 replicas from Doursoux?

http://www.doursoux.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=679

I have been in touch via the website and the jacket is produced in house in calfskin. I'm not sure what weight this equates to - I presume that it would be lighter than horsehide, but would it be equivalent to goatskin or capeskin in weight?

There are some detail inconsistencies (principally size/location of pockets and the apparent one piece back/lack of seam on the upper arms), but I do like the colour/texture and the button closure on the waistband.

I have requested higher res. images of the exterior and lining/labels, along with a query about the potential for customisation.

The price is currently 390 Euro so somewhat cheaper than Eastman and Good Wear (which is the one that I'd really prefer, but can't justify at present) and a little higher than the US Authentic.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers

Ian

bseal

Ian,

I tried several months ago to get more detailed info but was unsuccessful. Looks very cool though. Subsequently, I went with a Seattle based company that procured the capeskin from a tannery in Italy. Cotton sateen lining, horn buttons, and 100% wool knits. Quick photos with Iphone. Better images perhaps tomorrow.

4f2903d9.jpg

5398d622.jpg

52e3139f.jpg

SuinBruin

I'm not a huge fan of the A-1 but that just looks amazing -- I'd swear it was a NOS original. Dizzamn.

zoomer

Many EU companies really don't want to trade outside the EU.
Also, many with goods unavailable in the US want to keep them that way, for their own reasons, good or bad.

smoos

bseal said:
Ian,

I tried several months ago to get more detailed info but was unsuccessful. Looks very cool though. Subsequently, I went with a Seattle based company that procured the capeskin from a tannery in Italy. Cotton sateen lining, horn buttons, and 100% wool knits. Quick photos with Iphone. Better images perhaps tomorrow.

4f2903d9.jpg

5398d622.jpg

52e3139f.jpg
Uh..... rush those better images, please.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Can you reveal the original jacket pattern that Mr. C based it on?

2. Did you request extra taper in the body, or did the jacket it's based on have that much?

bseal

As with his recent Security Aviation Togs A-2 reproduction, J.C. gathered documents from the National Archives to create his newest A-1 pattern with the Italian capeskin. The particular style of horn buttons were procured in San Francisco and passed on to his Seattle factory.

The taper is consistent with originals.

One thing I want to be clear and stress, is this is not an A-2 dressed up as an A-1.
A-2s on the by and large are short and boxy, this fresh A-1 pattern is as the originals were, long and svelte.

More photos:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=720
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&p=81962#p81962

Warmest,
Steve

Dr H

Steve, there is no way that could be mistaken for a modified A-2...

Reeks quality...and that capeskin has a fine character already, should wear in beautifully